Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » It arrived! » Pendant (Slightly Deformed)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Pendant (Slightly Deformed) [message #57214] Wed, 21 November 2012 02:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
This is a prototype for my Christmas presents this year. I have a design for each family member, with a different animal engraving on the front. The pendant itself is hollow, to save money. Very Happy

I think I will make the engraving on the front about 1.5x-2x deeper. The back engraving is fine. However, the back curved in for some reason. I am not sure why - if it was during handling, I would expect the back to have broken entirely, not deformed.

Any ideas what went wrong?

Possible solutions:
1. Increase the thickness of the backplate.
2. Add a support lattice within the hollow space.
3. ???

Front:
index.php?t=getfile&id=23107&private=0

Back:

index.php?t=getfile&id=23108&private=0

• Attachment: front.JPG
    (Size: 59.43KB, Downloaded 166 time(s))

• Attachment: back.JPG
    (Size: 53.79KB, Downloaded 168 time(s))

Re: Pendant (Slightly Deformed) [message #57217 is a reply to message #57214 ] Wed, 21 November 2012 03:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Option 2 may be the answer. This is steel, right?
Remember that steel is processed in a kiln where it's heated enough to fuse the granules together.
The design rules talk about "slump".. where the model can alter shape slightly as it's being heated.

The model was most likely placed in the kiln on it's face. You could try making the back slightly thicker, or add a few internal cross braces.. shouldn't require a whole lot.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Pendant (Slightly Deformed) [message #57218 is a reply to message #57217 ] Wed, 21 November 2012 03:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ah - that makes sense. Not sure why it was placed on its face, though. I assumed the flat back would be a pretty obvious way to lay the piece.

Anyway, I'll make a lattice inside and hope that works. I need to order this one again (and 5 more) before Christmas, so my experimentation time is over.
Re: Pendant (Slightly Deformed) [message #57221 is a reply to message #57218 ] Wed, 21 November 2012 05:08 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I imagine that something like this would do the trick.

Hmm - somehow, looking at the render made me think of adding fillets. Anyway, after I do that, I think I'll be in good shape.

index.php?t=getfile&id=23132&private=0

• Attachment: v2.jpg
    (Size: 35.34KB, Downloaded 142 time(s))

Previous Topic:Hecate Shield Ring
Next Topic:silver ring with interchangeable inset

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.