Home » Support » 3D Design » I can't seem to get the right scale / 3ds max
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
I can't seem to get the right scale / 3ds max [message #57001] Sat, 17 November 2012 19:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar greengab  is currently offline greengab
Go to all my models
Hi there
Im trying to get my model scaled to its right size
but Ive tried several times to get it done and it either get too big or too small
and its price also gets crazy

is there anyone who can help me?
thanks!

here is the link to the model
http://www.shapeways.com/model/778585/portafolio5.html?key=c 2845e57edbeff8021647ba5c59be377
Re: I can't seem to get the right scale / 3ds max [message #57005 is a reply to message #57001 ] Sat, 17 November 2012 20:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
(Non color printing) Look at the dimensions of the bounding box in your program. Those dimensions, for example 3 x 5 x 6 if you want printed in mm, chose mm at upload. If you want it in cm, scale up by 10, chose mm again.
(Color printing). If you are going for Full Color Sandstone. Color uploads at SW are set at meters. So if you
want the object to be printed in cm, scale object by .01. If you want it in mm, scale by .001. Chose meters at upload. If they are the dimensions you want in inches, scale object by .0254, chose Meter at upload.

You could always post the file here to see if anything else is needed.

Keith

[Updated on: Sun, 18 November 2012 19:04 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: I can't seem to get the right scale / 3ds max [message #57015 is a reply to message #57005 ] Sun, 18 November 2012 07:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hello and Thank you for answering,
I kept trying but with no success, I've scaled up the model by 10, but it only grew to:

7.36 w x 12.898 d x 2.996 h

and the real measures that I need are:

32.756 cm = 12.896 inches - wide (on the longest side) and
18.6942 cm = 7.3599 in d

I also have some questions about the support material... I've made a couple of little sticks just in case...
but I dunno if I really have to make some more

anyway here is the model I would really appreciate if you can help me out scaling this to it's right size
thanks again.

• Attachment: final 1.obj
    (Size: 17.38MB, Downloaded 26 time(s))

Re: I can't seem to get the right scale / 3ds max [message #57017 is a reply to message #57015 ] Sun, 18 November 2012 08:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
greengab wrote on Sun, 18 November 2012 07:55

Hello and Thank you for answering,
I kept trying but with no success, I've scaled up the model by 10, but it only grew to:

7.36 w x 12.898 d x 2.996 h

and the real measures that I need are:

32.756 cm = 12.896 inches - wide (on the longest side) and
18.6942 cm = 7.3599 in d

I also have some questions about the support material... I've made a couple of little sticks just in case...
but I dunno if I really have to make some more

anyway here is the model I would really appreciate if you can help me out scaling this to it's right size
thanks again.

The numbers are right, scale back down to 1/10 and upload as inches.

STL & OBJ inch files attached Smile

As for the supports, they're a good idea. Whislt the model would print ok with the just support material, the construction of the model would have weak areas that might break during cleaning/handling.

Paul

Re: I can't seem to get the right scale / 3ds max [message #57030 is a reply to message #57017 ] Sun, 18 November 2012 17:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hello once again
I finally uploaded the file you sent me and it came up with the right measurements
Thank you

now my big concern is about the price which goes over 500 bucks!
can this be a mistake? or there is something that I could do to make the price go down?

here is the link: http://www.shapeways.com/model/781080/model__1.html?key=0e1e 6f95bc9f77d05d9443b9557bb563

I'm thinking about making some holes (to clean the model from the inside and making it cheaper) cause the model is already hollow...

and also I would like to visit the store in NYC
do you think that would be possible?

thanks!
Re: I can't seem to get the right scale / 3ds max [message #57031 is a reply to message #57017 ] Sun, 18 November 2012 17:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
You can now see why the bounding box dimensions are important. When I opened it they were 73.588 x 128.972 x 29.965. So as Paul suggested scale the model by 1/10. Now the dimensions are what you need, 7.36 w x 12.898 d x 2.996 h. This is what I originally mentioned about bounding box size,(but forgot about inches.Sad) This is the reason to upload at SW as inches. Since for example 12.898 inch = 32.756 cm. By the way 2.54 is the factor you convert inches to cm.
It will save you some time uploading as Inch , instead of scaling it by 2.54 x 10 to convert it to mm, then uploading as mm.

When you create a model for 3D printing, paranoia is you friend. If in doubt, over engineer.
The windows calculator is your friend to. By clicking view, several uses of it can be chosen, especially unit conversion.

Paul reminded stupid this me this was for color printing.I had a "Duh" moment. Scale your object by .0254. Take this value to be in meters, so select Meters at upload, printed object will be the size you want. As for the price it is correct unfortunately. And good luck on hollowing it. You can but it is going to be a pain.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 November 2012 19:00 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: I can't seem to get the right scale / 3ds max [message #57034 is a reply to message #57031 ] Sun, 18 November 2012 19:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
At roughly 8x12x3 inches.. it's going to cost a good amount to have it 3d printed. You'd have to remove a significant amount of material from it (almost wireframe) to get it down in the $30 range.

http://stonysmith.com/wired/VolumeEstimator.asp?L=186&W= 327&H=76&T=1

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: I can't seem to get the right scale / 3ds max [message #57061 is a reply to message #57001 ] Mon, 19 November 2012 05:22 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thank you all for your comments!!!
I think I'm getting closer to a better price range Razz

the factor to convert the measurements is right
and the volume/price calculator is very useful too!

Later on I'll try to upload a some new designs of the model
right now I'm figuring out how the hinges will work

this is supposed to work as a book
so does anyone have suggestions or examples to achieve this?

Previous Topic:Turn engraving into a hole
Next Topic:"Best Practice" guide for standard mechanical problems?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.