New Flower

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 228346_deleted, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Hello
    Heres a new design. This version is only for from/fit testing. Later revisions will be lit. The stem consists of 2 interweaving (not connected) layers, and a cored centre to allow for either a single LED or a larger diameter fiber optic. The flower is hollow with a hole at the base . Stem and flower connect with a simple push fit. Yet I think i will change this to a ball and socket for added stability.

Ill offer a version of this unlit through shapeways so people can DIY or just use it as an ornament .

Im pretty sure but WSF wont conduct electricty right? And that warning on the side of the newer boxes, that reads ' The products should not come into contact with electricty' doesnt apply to wires that are properly insulated?

Oh BTW from order to receiving was 5 days :D ......and i ordered on a Sunday. Nice one Shapeways.

EDIT: The dimensions for the flower alone are:
    In: 2.6 w x 2.6 d x 2.4 h
    Cm: 6.5 w x 6.5 d x 6.0 h

4.gif
    1.gif 2.gif

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. bartv
    bartv Member
    Nice work! I'd love to see it lit - keep us updated!

Polyamide doesn't conduct electricity, but we can't recommend running 220v bare wires through it ;) Powering a low-voltage LED light through properly insulated wires should be fine.

Cheers,

Bart

3. Thanks Bart

Any chance you know what the minimum internal diameter of a tube has to be, if the wall thickness is 1 mm? If the, 'Usable area in the relation wall thickness / hole size' from the advance design rules can be used then i guess it's anything over 2mm.

Regards

Oh n heres a couple of tests i did......sorry for the bad quality photos. Think my camera is afraid of the dark. :)

5.gif

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Ohhh My.. that is Gorgeous!

Ray

5. bartv
    bartv Member
    Sweet!

2mm sounds good.

Bart

6. Thanks Ray, always appreciated.

Cheers Bart, am working with .8mm at the moment . :rolleyes: . Time to change the stem design.

Piers