James Bond "Skyfall" Aston martin was 3D Printed.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lensman, Nov 13, 2012.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    The production team behind the latest James Bond movie, "Skyfall" included 1/3 models of our hero's precious Aston Martin DB5. And, guess what, they used a 3D printer from Voxeljet to make them. And what a printer! Read the article to have a look at the printer, but here is a shot of one of the superb models.

james bond aston martin.jpg

Glenn

2. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Whoa COOL!

3. lensman
    Yeah, no kidding! Did you check out the size of the printer?
    Glenn

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

5. PopeDesign
    PopeDesign Well-Known Member
    Very nice. Do they have any pictures right after it was printed. Just curious as to how much finishing work on "A" side surfaces they had to do or did not have to do.

6. lensman
    Oh, yes, there was a heck of a lot of post production work done on it. If you click on the 'Read the article' text in my post you can see some post-printing photo's but not straight out of the printer, as I recall.

Glenn

7. PopeDesign
    PopeDesign Well-Known Member
    Checked out the article and cool stuff. As much as I love using the 3D printing technology and it has come a long way, I'm still surprised they didn't CNC it with a really small step over. Sure longer run time and potentially many set ups. But next to no finishing work. I've seen machined acrylic come right off the bed that had a crystal clear transparent finish. I guess the run time of the printer must be significantly faster then CNC.

But regardless, this is really cool model that came out really nice.

8. Wow thats big!