how can I 'bake' a rig?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 247180_deleted, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Hello there!

I am going to be modeling some figures for 3d printing, and I'll use either Blender or Maya to do the modeling (not sure which one yet). These'll be about 10 different zombies, in different poses, and I'll probably be using a rig to pose them. I saw on the tutorial pages that one should 'bake' the poses, to make sure the pose of the rig will be preserved in the printed figure, but I can't seem to easily figure out how to do this in Blender or Maya. Anybody have any experience/guidance on this?

K

2. Sorry for the late reply, was experimenting with baking in Blender.
    You can just UV map your model in Blender. The texture might get pinched according to the pose but nothing you can do about it. I believe Maya's textures need to be baked, from what I have read.
    Baking in Blender can cause good/weird effects. If you bake a full render on an model your UV textures can be effected by shadows / low light areas or any material effects you want to add to the texture bake. You could even use it for spotlight effects(spaceship models, cabins).
    Basically the process involves assigning a material/materials to the model, unwrapping it, applying the texture. This technique you can use lamps, material variables to then effect your UV texture. Rotate the camera/render to check out the models views, when you are happy, bake the full render.Save this image, Open the image under new texture, set mapping to UV. Then just export as a .x3D with the baked image both zipped.

And using baking, you can use procedural textures. If you do not want to use the lighting effects, just enable ambient occlusion
    Just experiment, you will see the possibility's

Keith