Not up to the usual standards ?

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Brigadier, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Brigadier
    Brigadier Member
    These actually arrived a little while back (although not before UPS had somehow dumped them in someone else's rubbish bin across the other side of town ... :evil: ) but have languished in a box after only a very cursory inspection until now.

What we have are a number of very, very tiny buildings - built to 1/1000th scale so that a normal 2-storey house is just 6-7mm high. These aren't the first buildings I've had printed to this scale, and up to now I've been very pleased with what we've had. Unfortunately these two sets (one of houses, the other of churches) just aren't up to the standards of previous ones. The prints just aren't at all crisp or very square at the edges, they just look a little like they've been left in the sun too long and have gone soft. Some of the window and door recesses are faint and indistinct as is some of the raised detail. On some of the larger pieces, the church towers (larger being a relative term, still only 20mm or so high) have distinctly sunken or curved faces where they should be flat and at least one of the small houses has split into layers as if it has moved during the printing process. Initially I just though that we had just pushed the capabilities of the printing process too far with these tiny models but I went back and compared them to a number of similar models in my previous order and they were far better, with crisp detail and none of the issues seen here,

These arrived during the recent backlog on WSF orders (they were a few days late) so I wonder if things were a bit rushed during this period ? I have a number of other, similar items I was planning to get printed but now I'm holding off on placing any more orders because they're no use if they arrive looking like these.

Attached Files:

2. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Brigadier,

please contact service@shapeways.com about this, I agree that these don't look like they're up to our standards.

Thanks!

Bart

3. Brigadier
    Brigadier Member
    Ten out of ten to Shapeways' customer service department - looking forward to the reprints, will post here when they arrive.

4. bartv
    bartv Member
    Awesome! You've made Christel's day ;)

Cheers,

Bart

5. Brigadier
    Brigadier Member
    Well, the reprints have arrived (in double quick time, just over a week since my original post which is fantastic). And they are markedly better than the first set, so I guess the printer must just have been having a blip that day. It means that we're happy and can go ahead and order more types of buildings for the range.

So 10/10 for customer service and 10/10 for a quick turn-around - which makes, err, 20/10 for Shapeways !

Attached Files:

• C-1.jpg

C-1.jpg

File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
    • H-2.jpg

H-2.jpg

File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
    • H-1.jpg

H-1.jpg

File size:
      27.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  6. bartv
    bartv Member
    SO glad to hear it!!! I'll share this with the entire team!

Bart

7. Brigadier
    Brigadier Member
    Since my last post, we've made moulds and have our tiny little village in production as metal castings - and they look even better painted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we have more types on their way - farms, factories and terraced houses. The printing on these was top notch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]