Home » Support » 3D Printing » Would alumide work for a capacitive touchscreen stylus?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Would alumide work for a capacitive touchscreen stylus? [message #56629] Sun, 11 November 2012 04:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar psalmu  is currently offline psalmu
Go to all my models
I'm thinking it might because a capacitive stylus doesn't need to be continuously conductive: it just needs enough conductive material in it to cause a distortion of the screen's electrostatic field.

If nobody has tried it, could somebody please? Take a chunk of alumide with a flat surface of at least the size of a flattened fingertip and see if a phone or tablet screen reacts to it.

[Updated on: Sun, 11 November 2012 04:15 UTC]

Re: Would alumide work for a capacitive touchscreen stylus? [message #56635 is a reply to message #56629 ] Sun, 11 November 2012 10:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Hi,

Alumide is not electrically conductive, and when asked, my son said 'You aren't getting that stuff anywhere near my iPod screen, it'll scratch it to buggery'.

An alternative us to use the packing foam used for silicon chips etc which is conductive. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how this can be ustilised.

Paul

Re: Would alumide work for a capacitive touchscreen stylus? [message #56638 is a reply to message #56635 ] Sun, 11 November 2012 15:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar psalmu  is currently offline psalmu
Go to all my models
Is polished alumide still scratchy?
Re: Would alumide work for a capacitive touchscreen stylus? [message #56659 is a reply to message #56638 ] Mon, 12 November 2012 11:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
psalmu wrote on Sun, 11 November 2012 15:49

Is polished alumide still scratchy?

I've no polished Alumide yet, however I just tried some polished WSF on a thick sheet of polythene, no scratching at all after a minute of heavy rubbing.

Paul

Previous Topic:Confused by a great print
Next Topic:How S&F is WS&F?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.