Home » Support » 3D Printing » How S&F is WS&F?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon3.gif  How S&F is WS&F? [message #56580] Fri, 09 November 2012 23:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar Aquillyne  is currently offline Aquillyne
Go to my shop
Hi there,

Does WSF have a snapping point? How strong and flexible is it?

Imagine a model was just a long straight stick. How far could you bend it round?
Re: How S&F is WS&F? [message #56591 is a reply to message #56580 ] Sat, 10 November 2012 04:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Take a look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgbJB9v6Zk

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: How S&F is WS&F? [message #56599 is a reply to message #56591 ] Sat, 10 November 2012 10:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Aquillyne  is currently offline Aquillyne
Go to my shop
Very interesting!

But at some point will it plasticly deform? At some point will it snap?

In short, can I make a model from WSF that is designed to bear a heavy load? e.g. a coat hanger?
Re: How S&F is WS&F? [message #56607 is a reply to message #56599 ] Sat, 10 November 2012 14:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Well.. they printed a pair of scissors... Smile
http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1701-Popular-Science- Knows-that-Shapeways-3D-Printing-is-the-Future-of-Everything -VIDEO.html

I see no reason that a coat hanger shouldn't work.

The only thing to consider is that WSF (scintered Nylon) is less dense than it would be thru an extrusion process - to acheive equal strengths, any structure you design will need to be thicker than if you were working with an injection molding machine. (there's a video in the blog about that too)

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: How S&F is WS&F? [message #56612 is a reply to message #56599 ] Sat, 10 November 2012 15:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
If you call WSF by another name, "laser-sintered nylon 12", "polyamide 12" or search for "SLS - selective laser sintered plastic",
you will find that it has become an important material in the automotive industry, and there are several studies of its strength and
long-term stability. E.g. this article in Polymer Testing,
while being paywalled, has the abstract section and thumbnails of figures freely available.
Re: How S&F is WS&F? [message #56689 is a reply to message #56612 ] Mon, 12 November 2012 14:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi mkroeker,

We are looking to rename some of the materials
white strong flexible to Nylon,
Frosted Ultra Detail to High Detail Acrylic

You will notice that this naming protocol is starting to appear in the material sample kits then will make it's way across the entire Shapeways site.

This will make it easier for people find and understand the materials.

Thanks

Duann Scott,

Previous Topic:Would alumide work for a capacitive touchscreen stylus?
Next Topic:A World full of questions.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.