Greetz From The Reverend

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by randomblink, Jul 20, 2009.

1. randomblink
    randomblink Member
    Just figured I'd say hello...

I'm a digital art hobbyist who has been watching the 3D Printing Press over the last 5 years. WAITING for this moment... but sadly, I think I never thought it would come...

I've got several years of Microstation 2D CAD experience and now that I have found Shapeways, I plan on getting into 3D for fun and profit.

I think I'm going to go with an industry standard, Discreet 3DS MAX for my development, I'll start at Lynda.com for my training for now. But I hope to start developing pieces here soon.

I've quite active online, depending on the day and the mood. Feel free to catch me on twitter.com/randomblink if you are so inclined.

I have NEVER created a 3D model before, but I'm not skeered... I hope to start having fun SOON. If you know where the best place here to learn is? Please point me!!!

Looking to learn, willing to be stupid, and I believe that covers it.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The easiest 3D learning software I know of is Sketchup. I don't know about all the stuff people say about inverted faces which seems like a hassle when related to shapeways but it will still get you into the third dimension. Then try to move on to blender or truespace. Both free and fairly advanced. I use Keycreator 7 because it's what I have at work and what I know best. 6 years ago it would have been AutoCAD. I haven't had time or the drive to learn blender or truespace, but there are hundreds of free tutorials out there for them.

3. Dalhimar
    Dalhimar Member
    Welcome to the community!
    As for programs, Sketchup is easy, though not always as flexible as other programs.
    Personally i like 3D studio Max, Its simple, flexible, and if you have materials to work with, easy to learn