Home » Community » Introductions » Greetz From The Reverend
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Greetz From The Reverend [message #5318] Mon, 20 July 2009 21:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar randomblink  is currently offline randomblink
Go to my shop
Just figured I'd say hello...

I'm a digital art hobbyist who has been watching the 3D Printing Press over the last 5 years. WAITING for this moment... but sadly, I think I never thought it would come...

I've got several years of Microstation 2D CAD experience and now that I have found Shapeways, I plan on getting into 3D for fun and profit.

I think I'm going to go with an industry standard, Discreet 3DS MAX for my development, I'll start at Lynda.com for my training for now. But I hope to start developing pieces here soon.

I've quite active online, depending on the day and the mood. Feel free to catch me on twitter.com/randomblink if you are so inclined.

I have NEVER created a 3D model before, but I'm not skeered... I hope to start having fun SOON. If you know where the best place here to learn is? Please point me!!!

Looking to learn, willing to be stupid, and I believe that covers it.

Welcome to Costco, I love you.
Re: Greetz From The Reverend [message #5330 is a reply to message #5318 ] Tue, 21 July 2009 12:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The easiest 3D learning software I know of is Sketchup. I don't know about all the stuff people say about inverted faces which seems like a hassle when related to shapeways but it will still get you into the third dimension. Then try to move on to blender or truespace. Both free and fairly advanced. I use Keycreator 7 because it's what I have at work and what I know best. 6 years ago it would have been AutoCAD. I haven't had time or the drive to learn blender or truespace, but there are hundreds of free tutorials out there for them.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Greetz From The Reverend [message #5388 is a reply to message #5318 ] Fri, 24 July 2009 16:55 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
Welcome to the community!
As for programs, Sketchup is easy, though not always as flexible as other programs.
Personally i like 3D studio Max, Its simple, flexible, and if you have materials to work with, easy to learn

Previous Topic:Hello there
Next Topic:fixing non-manifold errors