Home »  » Work in progress » Will this print? + What do you think?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Will this print? + What do you think? [message #56361] Tue, 06 November 2012 00:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar Aquillyne  is currently offline Aquillyne
Go to my shop
Hello Everyone,

Do I need to do anything to this model to make sure it prints okay? Also, what do you think?

http://shpws.me/lSq9

Thanks!

P.S. The model is a ceramic lid for cups/mugs. I don't know if it will be unstable during printing.

• Attachment: Mockup.jpg
    (Size: 32.82KB, Downloaded 65 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 07 November 2012 21:20 UTC]

Re: Will this print? + What do you think? [message #56380 is a reply to message #56361 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 13:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
It miiiiight have to be 4mm thick to be safer. Yes it will deform in printing. I can almost guarantee that of any ceramics print. Also note that your item has to have a flat base for glazing, which looks like it'll be the top of your lid. So keep that in mind, that that part will probably not be pretty glazed but roughed unglazed ceramic.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Will this print? + What do you think? [message #56440 is a reply to message #56380 ] Wed, 07 November 2012 21:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey,

Thanks for the info.

Does the orientation of the model in the STL file make a difference? i.e. if I flip it so the "edge" points down (as per the main render) will you guys print it in that orientation (and hence the "edge" will be the unglazed part)?

If it prints like that (shape of a hat) will it be unstable and collapse? What can I do?

Cheers.
Re: Will this print? + What do you think? [message #56441 is a reply to message #56361 ] Wed, 07 November 2012 21:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Unfortunately orientation is up to the printer right now. And they will orient the model the way they see best. And I'm assuming they would use the top as the base as it looks like the flattest spot. Check out the Ceramics guidelines. I would think the higher end, being heavier, may sag down more than the shorter side. Which could cause it to not be round to match the cup. You could try printing it in sandstone first if it's less expensive, as it's printed on the same printers.

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Will this print? + What do you think? [message #56448 is a reply to message #56441 ] Wed, 07 November 2012 22:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok well I'll have to live with it being printed with the "top" of the hat pointing down.

I am not too worried about mild deformation, I just wanted to make sure the whole thing didn't collapse entirely.

Is this worth giving a go to see, or would you advise against it?

Cheers.
Re: Will this print? + What do you think? [message #56486 is a reply to message #56361 ] Thu, 08 November 2012 15:34 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I work here
I'd send it in. If they feel it will collapse, they won't print it. If they do print it and it collapses, you still won't be charged for the failed print. So I'd say let it fly and see how it goes!

michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:I print your model!
Next Topic:little scorpion bead : possible materials

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.