Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » Most cost effective option- same model several times, or include duplicates in one model?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Most cost effective option- same model several times, or include duplicates in one model? [message #56345] Mon, 05 November 2012 20:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar voltctrl  is currently offline voltctrl
Go to all my models
Read about there being a "handling cost" for the models. Is it therefore cheaper to make just one model, containing several identical parts, and then cut them apart by hand? This opposed to ordering several copies of the part. If anyone is familiar with Warhammer or model planes, I'm pretty sure you understand what I mean.
Re: Most cost effective option- same model several times, or include duplicates in one model? [message #56348 is a reply to message #56345 ] Mon, 05 November 2012 21:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You are correct. If you look through the materials page you will see the startup costs for our materials (see the italic +$ amount. For some of the materials, you don't even need to have them connected depending on their size. Let us know the material in work in progress, and an idea of the item, and those with the most experience will be able to help you out.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Most cost effective option- same model several times, or include duplicates in one model? [message #56350 is a reply to message #56348 ] Mon, 05 November 2012 21:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Mon, 05 November 2012 21:22

You are correct. If you look through the materials page you will see the startup costs for our materials (see the italic +$ amount. For some of the materials, you don't even need to have them connected depending on their size. Let us know the material in work in progress, and an idea of the item, and those with the most experience will be able to help you out.

Ah. I have a hard time noticing things like that, but I got the right impression none the less. The part I had in mind was this:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/762577/

And I'm probably going for the strong and flexible plastic.

So, just duplicate the part and upload it as one model? No connections of anything? Sweet. I have a feeling I'll be using this service a lot in the future.
Re: Most cost effective option- same model several times, or include duplicates in one model? [message #56362 is a reply to message #56350 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 01:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The main thing you need to consider.. SMALL parts will be very problematic if you don't sprue them together.

There are several forum threads about this, but you should 'be kind' to the Shapeways operators.. if you have many many small parts, they're going to get lost during cleaning.

Remember.. For WSF they clean the powder off with an airhose.
Take a look at these: http://shpws.me/lnvb The whole set is less than 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch tall!

If those were individual peices.. they'd never survive cleaning.

You should consider a "rule of thumb" (pun intended) that any group of parts should be easily picked up by at least your thumb and forefinger.. not tweezers.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Most cost effective option- same model several times, or include duplicates in one model? [message #56375 is a reply to message #56362 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 10:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
stonysmith wrote on Tue, 06 November 2012 01:35

The main thing you need to consider.. SMALL parts will be very problematic if you don't sprue them together.

There are several forum threads about this, but you should 'be kind' to the Shapeways operators.. if you have many many small parts, they're going to get lost during cleaning.

Remember.. For WSF they clean the powder off with an airhose.
Take a look at these: The whole set is less than 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch tall!

If those were individual peices.. they'd never survive cleaning.

You should consider a "rule of thumb" (pun intended) that any group of parts should be easily picked up by at least your thumb and forefinger.. not tweezers.

I'll remember that rule of thumb, lol. Also, thank you for telling me what those are called.

WSF: Water Soluble Film? Is that right?

I guess, since the parts (buttons) I have in mind are have a bounding box of 0.6 w x 0.6 d x 0.2 h in, it should probably be fine, right? That's larger than the whole set of those fire hydrants you modeled.
Re: Most cost effective option- same model several times, or include duplicates in one model? [message #56381 is a reply to message #56345 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 13:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
WSF = White Strong and Flexible. Which is what Shapeways calls it's Nylon material.

A good rule of thumb is, if the individual item is smaller than the minimum bounding box listed for the material, connect them together. That size is to prevent pieces from getting lost in the depowdering, and cleaning.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Reducing the volume of your 3D print
Next Topic:Intersecting Meshes!?!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.