Home »  » 3D Applications » Solidworks upload to Shapeways; wrong views!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Solidworks upload to Shapeways; wrong views! [message #56229] Fri, 02 November 2012 14:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar jcspaintball  is currently offline jcspaintball
Go to all my models
Love the site; but I am having a simple problem: when I upload my files, the view shown in Shapeways is always wrong. It seems to be using the bottom of my drawing as the front. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to fix it? Thanks for the help!
Re: Solidworks upload to Shapeways; wrong views! [message #56235 is a reply to message #56229 ] Fri, 02 November 2012 17:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
What program are you using, what format of file are you uploading?

Shapeways defines the Z axis as "Up".. some other systems define Z as "to the right".

If you're uploading an STL file, then you can open it in Netfabb, and rotate the model.. then upload it and Shapeways will display it properly.
If you're using some other format.. it depends on your design program.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Solidworks upload to Shapeways; wrong views! [message #56298 is a reply to message #56235 ] Mon, 05 November 2012 11:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jcspaintball  is currently offline jcspaintball
Go to all my models
I am using solidworks to save a STL File; I will check out Netfabb
Re: Solidworks upload to Shapeways; wrong views! [message #56315 is a reply to message #56229 ] Mon, 05 November 2012 15:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
When I import Solidworks into KeyCreator, it always puts the front facing top Razz. It's all in how the software orients the model. Shapeways sees Z as up. Solidworks see Y as up. So if you rotate your model 90 degrees, it should upload upright for you.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Can two separate objects be printed?
Next Topic:Render alignment in SW

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.