Home » Support » 3D Printing » Printing Grandpa is giving issues
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56152] Mon, 29 October 2012 12:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar tristan_bethe  is currently offline tristan_bethe
Go to my shop
Is it just me or did something change in the way .wrl files for color prints are checked?

I did quite some color prints in the past and thought I had my workflow down.

However I had quite some difficulty when I tried to upload a color model the last few attempts. The error emails do not specify what the problem is however only that I need to give my model a bit of extra love.

I took the existing grandpa model and made a 'sinterklaas' version of it (hope the family will be amused next december Smile

I kept the triangles well under 500.000 did all kinds of error checks... Also I opened the wrl in notepad to make sure the texture name and path check out.

Below are 2 exports of exactly the same source. One is a .STL without color. The other is a .WRL with texture.

imageafter.com/temp/tristan/SinterOpa3STL.zip
imageafter.com/temp/tristan/SinterOpa3WRLcolor.zip

The STL uploads perfectly however the .WRL 'needs more love'

Anyone an idea what is wrong?

Does the server check wall thickness when uploading an .WRL? If so that could be the problem since the wall thickness of colored sandstone is 3mm and the white strong and flexible is 0.7 but I guess if that is checked it would be easy to mention in the error email right?

See more of my 3D scanning/printing adventures here: http://3dpersons.com/ or statyou.com
Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56154 is a reply to message #56152 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 12:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Strange..

I'll take a look.

Any luck with uploading one of your old models?

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56155 is a reply to message #56154 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 12:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
oeh! good idea! See if the old models give the same probs!

See more of my 3D scanning/printing adventures here: http://3dpersons.com/ or statyou.com
Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56156 is a reply to message #56155 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 12:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Initial inspection of your model did not show anything strange, except for a very funky dressed grandpa Smile awesome model variation!

Also the guidelines for sandstone have been updated and 2mm walls are also possible now:
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/sandstone-design-guidelin es
And the polygon limit has been upped to 1 million Smile

Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56157 is a reply to message #56156 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 12:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
woot! thats amazing to hear.. so thats probably not the issue...

btw here is a link to the succesfully uploaded stl file: http://shpws.me/lPPX

I had another 3D print issue a few months back that was solved by reducing the triangles to 300.000 instead of 450.000 which was my original size. apparently a memory issue.

I've downloaded en re-uploaded this model of the less funky grandpa: http://shpws.me/lnKA

I've yet to receive confirmation but that seems to be a good sign. The error of sinteropa where very quick after uploading...

Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56158 is a reply to message #56157 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 12:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
mmh I've just read that the minimum bounding box is x+y+z≥75mm My print is +- 35 high... is that the issue? or am I reading it wrong? in any case the normal grandpa was 4cm high

Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56159 is a reply to message #56158 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 12:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hmm, that is quite small!
Sounds like that might be it, but the email should just say that if that is the case Wink
Should be easy enough to test though, scale it up and see Wink

Oh and in my experience, old models that do not adhere to the rules may or may not be rejected on ordering Wink
Likely depends on the actual repeat printability.

Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56160 is a reply to message #56158 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 12:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
ah the old model uploaded perfectly... how weird!

Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56161 is a reply to message #56160 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 13:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hmm, curious...

See if you can find any differences between the files.
I have limited pc access atm.
But perhaps, spaces/newlines/dos/unix filetype or format issues?

Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56163 is a reply to message #56161 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Perhaps try this, I just opened and saved it with Meshlab, wrl file is several MB smaller, not sure why.

• Attachment: Opa.zip
    (Size: 8.31MB, Downloaded 40 time(s))

Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56164 is a reply to message #56163 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 13:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ah too bad the meshlab version gives the same problem:

Quote:

Hi Tristan,

Uh oh! Seems like your model needs a bit more love before our robots can work their magic.

The 3D model Opa via meshlab you recently uploaded didn't pass all our automated checks, so it's not yet ready for 3D printing.

Our tutorials and FAQ can be super helpful for more detailed information, or you can always ask the community a specific question on our forum

If you're stuck or have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out at service@shapeways.com. Please include the file attached to the email, as well as any notes on your design, so we can help you solve your problem as quickly as possible.

Kind regards,

Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56184 is a reply to message #56164 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 19:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Tristan I opened up the model. It showed some non manifold errors. Basically several loose verts along the surface. I guess in the stl upload SW thought you wanted them booleaned, but were so small, it deleted them, but printed. The loose verts made it non manifold in the wrl. Its a easy fix anyway.
Keith

The floating loose verts were the culprits. Dimensions and volume remain the same with the wrl fixed.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 October 2012 20:04 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56460 is a reply to message #56184 ] Thu, 08 November 2012 07:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Fredd,

Thanks so much for checking it out. Just read your reply since for some reason I am not getting alerts on new posts anymore Crying or Very Sad

May I ask what software you used to check and how you fixed it eventually?

Also do I understand correctly that the SW upload does automatic booleans with intersecting meshes? That would help me understand/visualize the SW upload a bit better!

*just discovered you have to check 'Post Notification' at each post -do'h

[Updated on: Thu, 08 November 2012 07:34 UTC]

Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56518 is a reply to message #56460 ] Thu, 08 November 2012 21:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I know that SW will boolean union stls where you have several manifold objects with intersecting volumes(as long as they are not too small). No idea about vmrl2 for colored models. Beware a boolean operation, you might have to unwrap the mesh again.

I opened the file in Blender, nice little free program. For the uses would would need of it, would be simple to learn about 5 techniques.
By the way, I loved Pope Pawpaw.
Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56700 is a reply to message #56518 ] Mon, 12 November 2012 14:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The Mesh Medic boolean operation often has a hard time with vrml2 models with UV texturemaps - once it corrects a mesh problem it does not know how to re-map the textures. In these cases, it's better to fix the model by hand..

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56710 is a reply to message #56700 ] Mon, 12 November 2012 16:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Barty that is so true. About anytime you boolean objects with uv maps, you normally wind up remapping the joined object. Another example of why you should properly create a model for 3D printing from the start, learn how to check for errors and fix them, instead o being lazy and depending on mesh medic/ netfabb basic to fix them all the time.

Keith

Keith
Re: Printing Grandpa is giving issues [message #56771 is a reply to message #56710 ] Tue, 13 November 2012 11:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
There's nothing wrong with being lazy of course Wink But yeah, in general it's better to know what you're doing and create valid geometry from the start.

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:exact same model, same plastic, one came with holes, the other didn't
Next Topic:Rounded/Polished Side?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.