Choices of Material for Chopsticks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 237609_deleted, Oct 28, 2012.

1. I'm thinking about making a pair of chopsticks and would like to know what choices do I have for the material. Thanks.

2. Mswlik
    Mswlik Active Member
    I believe that ceramics is the only food safe material. If you want to use them it would have to be that.

3. What about titanium or stainless steel? Are they food safe? And when we say they're not food safe what does it really mean?

4. Mswlik
    Mswlik Active Member
    I'm not really sure about titanium because shapeways doesn't offer it, I know some other companies do. I'm not exactly sure why Stainless Steel is not food safe it might say here https://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel

5. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    Shapeways "Stainless Steel" is not pure stainless, but a mix of actual stainless steel and bronze. The bronze component will oxidize and discolor easily.

Greetings
    Dragoman

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    To achieve food safeness with any 3D printed item, you have to do a certified food safe process. Seeing the ceramics is glazed, which is a certified food safe process, we can say it is food safe. If you coat any of our other materials with a food safe material using a food safe process, then it would be food safe. Any none food safeness would not be on us though :D