Home » Support » 3D Printing » Intersecting Meshes!?!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Intersecting Meshes!?! [message #56113] Sun, 28 October 2012 18:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar shyamlal  is currently offline shyamlal
Go to all my models
Hi there!,

I'm new to 3d printing.. Just wondering if a model can be printed if it contains two seperate meshes (no moving stuff) Intersecting each other?. For example:- A long cylinder through a solid cube!..
I hope you get the idea. Sometimes properly fusing two parts of meshes with heavy details can be such a pain!.

Another question - Do I have to worry about mesh flow (triangles, faces with more than four edges.etc)?

Thanx in advace..

Re: Intersecting Meshes!?! [message #56131 is a reply to message #56113 ] Sun, 28 October 2012 23:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
In blender you can select the sphere and then the cylinder, export without joining the meshes, and shapeways will perform the boolean op on them.
Ngons in a mesh create a nonmanifold mesh, which cannot be printed. Triangles will work, as will quads for faces

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Intersecting Meshes!?! [message #56141 is a reply to message #56131 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 03:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you. Cool
Re: Intersecting Meshes!?! [message #56150 is a reply to message #56113 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 11:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
A cautionary note to add (with solution).
Shapeways software will not boolean very small meshes together - the very small parts get removed instead.
The kind of size I'm talking about is what would be considered detail on FUD models and the removal by Shapeways software has not yet been resolved, however NetFabb Cloud Service has no issues booleaning any size parts together.

Paul

Re: Intersecting Meshes!?! [message #56384 is a reply to message #56150 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 14:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the helpful tips!
Razz
Re: Intersecting Meshes!?! [message #56386 is a reply to message #56113 ] Tue, 06 November 2012 14:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Another helpful hint! If you have items sitting face to face, Shapeways software will not know what to do, and either cause your item to fail to upload, or become distorted.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:Most cost effective option- same model several times, or include duplicates in one model?
Next Topic:Issue solved

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.