Home » Community » General Discussion » 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56036] Sat, 27 October 2012 16:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar Raizer04  is currently offline Raizer04
Go to my shop
Hello there, I have a BFB 3d touch printer and I am having a problem. Everytime I try printing it keeps closing the holes. I have tried a repair in netfabb studio but it keeps closing holes that I need open.

Please read post: http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/eur/forum/post/axon-2-keeps-fil ling-when-i-dont-want-it

I am new to 3d software, and i am looking for someone to explain and possibly show me how to fix this.

Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56047 is a reply to message #56036 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 18:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The simple answer here is that computers are stupid, and that the computer can't read your mind. Very Happy
Most "Hole Correction" algorithms tend to go with a simpler geometry rather than try to create a more complex one.

Rather than use your complex example, let me try to explain using a simpler item:
index.php?t=getfile&id=22155&private=0

Here on the left, you can see that there are two holes (top/bottom), but there is no internal structure.
If you use most any "Hole Correction" tool, it is going to just plug the two holes as surface defects, and not create a passage THRU the object.
What is necessary is to have the vertexes that I've outlined on the right in white, and you must have the faces shown in yellow.
Your model is missing these "internal" faces.

To repair this, you must do one of two things:
1) repeat the original subtraction, ensuring that interior faces are created properly.
2) if your tool allows, you could add the vertexes and faces manually

• Attachment: Edges.jpg
    (Size: 210.29KB, Downloaded 230 time(s))

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56048 is a reply to message #56047 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 18:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Here's my attempt at fixing it.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56049 is a reply to message #56036 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 18:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mygadgetlife  is currently offline mygadgetlife
Go to my shop
Hi,

I looked at the postings you referred to and your correspondent is correct - the model is non-manifold, meaning it's outer 'skin' is not continuous and has holes. This is why your model will not print correctly.

You need to go back to your software to correct the issue. Believe me, if you're a beginner like me, this is easier said than done.

Best of luck, and you can always post back here if you have difficulties.

mygadgetlife.blogspot.co.uk
Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56050 is a reply to message #56048 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 18:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stonysmith wrote on Sat, 27 October 2012 18:44

Here's my attempt at fixing it.

I....I...I think i love you. That is exactly what I needed. What software did you use to add the vertexes and faces manually?
Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56051 is a reply to message #56050 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Bah, I was too busy making an image. Your problems were pretty well answered. Proper facing normals are on the image on the right side.Smile
index.php?t=getfile&id=22171&private=0

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56055 is a reply to message #56051 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 20:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I use an old school (now free) program called TrueSpace. If you want to try it, you need version 7.6.0. The 'update' version 7.6.1 removed the native STL export from the package.

People (my kids) ask me why I hang onto such an old program (this version from 2008).. It's mostly because I've got "a bit of experience" with the program... I started working with Version 1 way back in 1994. Very Happy

Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56069 is a reply to message #56055 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 22:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stonysmith wrote on Sat, 27 October 2012 20:10

I use an old school (now free) program called TrueSpace. If you want to try it, you need version 7.6.0. The 'update' version 7.6.1 removed the native STL export from the package.

People (my kids) ask me why I hang onto such an old program (this version from 2008).. It's mostly because I've got "a bit of experience" with the program... I started working with Version 1 way back in 1994. Very Happy

Well thank you everyone for attempting to help me with this. I tried to recreate the file myself (so that I can learn to do this rather than asking people), and I smoothed out the structures within the thumb and eliminated all the unnessesary vertices and faces using Blender (that TrueSpace 7.6 wouldnt even let me import an stl). I think I am getting close, but I cant find out what I am doing wrong compared to the one that he supplied that worked.....Whats different compared to the one he did?

Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56073 is a reply to message #56069 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 23:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Make sure that you downloaded TS 7.6.0 .. the version 7.6.1 had the STL option removed from it.

As to what you're doing wrong in blender... there are several people here on the forum much more capable with Blender than I currently am.

Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56080 is a reply to message #56073 ] Sun, 28 October 2012 01:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stonysmith wrote on Sat, 27 October 2012 23:37

Make sure that you downloaded TS 7.6.0 .. the version 7.6.1 had the STL option removed from it.

As to what you're doing wrong in blender... there are several people here on the forum much more capable with Blender than I currently am.

I was looking under "File" in that software for import and couldnt find it, finally found how to properly import the file. So what did you do to clear the stuff in that software?
Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56185 is a reply to message #56055 ] Mon, 29 October 2012 20:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jrey  is currently offline jrey
Go to all my models
stonysmith wrote on Sat, 27 October 2012 20:10

Hey! I started on truespace version 1 back in 95! (I was 12 then) I switched to 3dsmax in 2004, but truespace holds a special place in my heart. I met Roman Ormandy at Siggraph 2000 and he bought a group of us users dinner. I hate that it was sold off to Microsoft, and then abandoned.
Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56203 is a reply to message #56185 ] Tue, 30 October 2012 04:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I'm such a nub.

Hey, if you were a big software company, why else would you buy small ones other than to kill them? Just keeps on happening.
Sad

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56238 is a reply to message #56203 ] Fri, 02 November 2012 19:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar megmaltese  is currently offline megmaltese
Go to my shop
Bathsheba wrote on Tue, 30 October 2012 04:14

I'm such a nub.

Hey, if you were a big software company, why else would you buy small ones other than to kill them? Just keeps on happening.
Sad

It's simple: small companies CAN be a risk for larger companies.
They eat share of market and if their product is better or can become better, they can take action to wipe them out so to not have any menace around.
This sucks really, but that's how it is.
I think there should be made some law to not allow this.
This is killing options for the users and it's not moral from my point of view.

Abide.
Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56240 is a reply to message #56238 ] Fri, 02 November 2012 19:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jrey  is currently offline jrey
Go to all my models
In the case of Microsoft buying Caligari that doesn't really apply. They initially bought it to offer something like sketchup for their map system to compete with google. I guess it wasn't what they thought it was.
Re: 3d Software doesnt make sense. Someone please give me some advice [message #56241 is a reply to message #56240 ] Fri, 02 November 2012 19:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar megmaltese  is currently offline megmaltese
Go to my shop
jrey wrote on Fri, 02 November 2012 19:48

In the case of Microsoft buying Caligari that doesn't really apply. They initially bought it to offer something like sketchup for their map system to compete with google. I guess it wasn't what they thought it was.

Yeah that was another reason of course, but usually it's like that.
Autodesk bought Maya (unluckily) to have income from selling Maya instead than losses.
I was scared that they would cut off the project but at least they hold it alive.

Abide.

Previous Topic:Printing Sterling Silver Stone Settings.
Next Topic:HEXAGON 2 3D modeller with serial numbers for free until 31 oktober.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.