Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » Work in progress » A strategy for a check-print?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
A strategy for a check-print? [message #55945] Thu, 25 October 2012 21:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar Syncopator  is currently offline Syncopator
Go to all my models
Ultimately, I'd like to print an item in silver as a pendant. However, at my desired size and necessary resolution, I'd like to print it in a cheaper material and maybe a bit larger if necessary to get an idea how the design will stand up to the effects of the scanning, etc. i know those effects on one material,will look different on another, but I don't relish the idea of shelling out $100 and finding that it looks like crap because the process isn't perfect.

My first idea was to print it slightly larger in White Detail. I just found out that it didn't make wall thickness (no specifics on exactly where, but I see now there are several spots, as I didn't notice that White Detail is actually worse than several of the others in that regard). I'm thinking of trying again in FD or FUD.

Any suggestions in this regard? When you have a model that might be pushing some limits, is there a way to vet it in a cheaper material before you go for broke?
Re: A strategy for a check-print? [message #55955 is a reply to message #55945 ] Fri, 26 October 2012 08:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
Go for a material that has thicker minimum wall requirements and, in general, tougher restrictions than silver - see the materials sheets. I think that would be one of the "Detail" materials or possibly Alumide. Strong Flexible and Frosted (Ultra) Detail are finer than silver.

Also, look through the forums for advice about the topic of thin items. Lots of posts. Netfabb (free) is a popular tool to measure pieces.

Greetings
Dragoman
Re: A strategy for a check-print? [message #56002 is a reply to message #55955 ] Fri, 26 October 2012 19:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well, the only way I can make the walls thicker without adversely affecting the design is by scaling the model up. I could use the ratio of the two materials min wall thickness to derive a scale factor, which should allow me to print in the "check print" material. What I don't know is to what extent the print process effect on the design will be comparable, but I guess it's better than nothing...
Re: A strategy for a check-print? [message #56052 is a reply to message #56002 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 19:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
When I started I used to print test models in white detail because the design rules were so similar and I did it for the same reason as you are. The only problem with that is although the detail is there, the material is white and very fine detail is hard to see, but its still there. After that, I went on to print test prints in Frosted Ultra Detail. This material will show the detail better visibly but since this material prints at a higher level of minimum detail 0.1mm and silver has a 0.3mm minimum detail, you will need to make sure everything is measured to the design rules for silver and then do a test print in Frosted Ultra Detail. The only time I do this is not to check on detail but to see how a large or awkward shaped ring fits and feels before I go to silver.

To answer your question, If you dont want to scale up your model id go with Frosted Ultra Detail and make sure you measured using the silver design rules but if the wall thickness was not an issue, id go with white detail. I no longer do test prints unless requested because after so many prints ive received in silver, I use and trust the design rules and no longer worry about the final print.

By the way, the silver im talking about is the regular silver not silver glossy.

[Updated on: Sat, 27 October 2012 19:29 UTC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: A strategy for a check-print? [message #56053 is a reply to message #56052 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 19:46 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Yes, thanks-- I've done a couple of things, made some adjusrments to my model to increase some of the wall thickness w/o impacting the design too much, and then submitted it as a print in strong and flexible which has slighly larger requirements for wall thickness than silver. I've also realized that it could stand to be a little larger as well, which helps (though is going to cost a bundle in silver). I figure these steps will at least work out wall thickness, because if it prints in strong and flexible it should print in silver. Then I can at least get some idea what it will look like at size, though hopefully,it will look better in silver. And as you say, once I get wall thickness sorted out I can try FD or FUD to get a better idea of the level of detail I can expect. If I'm happy with it at that point, I can spring for silver. And I agree, regular silver and not glossy makes more sense for what I'm doing.

Previous Topic:Cantilever signal bridge
Next Topic:iphone 4/4S dummy original size downloadable