Home » Community » General Discussion » Are my cost calculations correct?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Are my cost calculations correct? [message #55916] Thu, 25 October 2012 14:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar outspoken  is currently offline outspoken
Go to all my models
I have what is essentially a solid rectangular model with the following dimensions:

104mm width
60mm height
215mm length

mm3 = 1341600
cm3 = 1342

Now the cost of material for strong plastic is $1.40/cm3 so does that make my model cost $1800?

SFP($1.40/cm3) * 1342 = $1878.80

I hope my math is way off, otherwise I'd just as soon go buy my own printer.
Re: Are my cost calculations correct? [message #55918 is a reply to message #55916 ] Thu, 25 October 2012 14:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You're only off by the $1.50 startup cost. You should make your model hollow to save some $.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Are my cost calculations correct? [message #55919 is a reply to message #55918 ] Thu, 25 October 2012 14:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 25 October 2012 14:29

You're only off by the $1.50 startup cost. You should make your model hollow to save some $.

Shipping and handling too right? Wink

It does have hollowed out areas, probably 75% of it is hollow. Basically imagine a pill container.

I just wanted to make sure my understanding of the cost scale was correct. Later today I'll upload it for examination to determine exact costs.

Thanks.
Re: Are my cost calculations correct? [message #55920 is a reply to message #55916 ] Thu, 25 October 2012 14:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
It's all volume based, not bounding box based. So if you item is hollow it will be significantly less expensive.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Are my cost calculations correct? [message #55921 is a reply to message #55920 ] Thu, 25 October 2012 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You can play with size vs cost here:
http://stonysmith.com/wired/VolumeEstimator.asp?L=104&W= 60&H=215&T=.6

Shipping is $6.50 extra (to the US) but that applies only once, to the whole order you place.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Are my cost calculations correct? [message #55940 is a reply to message #55921 ] Thu, 25 October 2012 19:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Outspoken; I believe the reason the hollowed out area is not having any effect is the interior surface face normals are not pointing inward. If this is corrected, your volume measurements should change dramatically. You still will need to create a tunnel between the outer and inner surface to create drainage, and to create 1 uniform surface. Best example is to create a large cube, normals facing out, create a duplicate,scale it, flip the duplicates face normals, then center it inside the larger cube. Join both meshes, then use a boolean difference modifier to create a tunnel connecting them.

The reason I think its normal problems is that I used your dimensions, got the same volume.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Are my cost calculations correct? [message #55941 is a reply to message #55919 ] Thu, 25 October 2012 19:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
outspoken wrote on Thu, 25 October 2012 14:39

Later today I'll upload it for examination to determine exact costs.

So far he hasn't uploaded yet, so he's not getting his volume/price from SW yet. Those are good things to keep in mind if you volume doesn't match what it should be after upload though.

Re: Are my cost calculations correct? [message #56003 is a reply to message #55940 ] Fri, 26 October 2012 20:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Fredd wrote on Thu, 25 October 2012 19:29

Outspoken; I believe the reason the hollowed out area is not having any effect is the interior surface face normals are not pointing inward. If this is corrected, your volume measurements should change dramatically. You still will need to create a tunnel between the outer and inner surface to create drainage, and to create 1 uniform surface. Best example is to create a large cube, normals facing out, create a duplicate,scale it, flip the duplicates face normals, then center it inside the larger cube. Join both meshes, then use a boolean difference modifier to create a tunnel connecting them.

The reason I think its normal problems is that I used your dimensions, got the same volume.

This must be the problem. I am very new to 3D modeling so I'll make sure to attempt this over the weekend.

I was able to get a competitor to analyse and provide a quote and everyone is correct about the price, it was much much lower.

Though my model is far from printable apparently.

btw, I have a horrid time trying to remember shapeway's site name, all I can think about is the grocery store Safeway. Very Happy
Re: Are my cost calculations correct? [message #56013 is a reply to message #56003 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 02:18 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
You know that you can upload a model to Shapeways, not safeways and it will not cost anything unless you order it, to check dimensions,if printable, cost per the different materials free. I was proud of that when I uploaded a test that's price would have been $5000.lol
You need help with the file, just post it here. I think safeways would charge you for a sack.
Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Editing Description Text
Next Topic:Mold making for multi-color / swirl plastic parts

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.