Sea Chess Pieces

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by WillLaPuerta, Oct 24, 2012.

1. WillLaPuerta
    WillLaPuerta Well-Known Member
    Set of chess pieces modeled after undersea life.

[​IMG]

Starfish shaped Pawn:
    [​IMG]

Coral shaped Rook:
    [​IMG]

Seahorse shaped Knight:
    [​IMG]

Squid shaped Bishop:
    [​IMG]

Angelfish shaped Queen:
    [​IMG]

Crab shaped King:
    [​IMG]

I've had this thing sitting around for ages and I finally got around to ordering it. I think it looks great!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Wow! I love it!

3. bvr
    bvr Member
    That is awesome, makes me want to play a game of chess.
    bvr

4. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Great job! Could I ask you much that tidy lot cost?

Glenn

5. WillLaPuerta
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to give the pieces a protective coat of lacquer and maybe make them look a little less fuzzy in spots. I'll post more pictures when I'm done.

It cost over a hundred bucks. I'd had plans for a chess board that could be assembled from different materials and snapped together, but that wound up costing about three times as much as the pieces, so I just printed out a picture and glued it to some stiff cardboard. I think it worked out well enough.

6. WillLaPuerta
    I've given them all a protective coating of spray on lacquer. Should help keep them from chipping and it keeps the bases from looking so spotty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I might have had the pieces arranged wrong before. Hopefully I've got that right by now.

7. lensman
    Looks really nice. By the way, white Queen on player's centre left and black Queen opposite. White King on right and black King opposite.

Glenn

8. I love it! I think I saw these some time ago when you started. I know how long projects can take from start to finish, so I am thrilled to see that you completed it!

Looks great. This encourages me to make some FCS things of my own. :D

9. WillLaPuerta
    It's encouraged me, too. My early experiences with FCS were all kind of dull looking, but since they changed the processing of the parts a while back I've been much happier with them. The colors on these are so bright and vivid that they almost seem to glow at times.

10. Wow these look really nice!
    After the lacquer, the colors look amazing!

11. lensman
    Could you tell us specifically what it was you sprayed the pieces with?

Glenn

12. WillLaPuerta
    Nothing special, just Rust-oleum Lacquer. I'd used Krylon for some of my older models and it got cloudy if I sprayed it on too thick. Didn't have that problem this time, so this is probably what I'll keep using.

13. lensman
    Excellent, thanks.