cannot print in ceramics

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 54216_deleted, Oct 23, 2012.

1. 54216_deleted
    54216_deleted Member
    Dear shapeway users,

Recently I wanted to print a chess piece of mine in the new ceramic material. The model past the initial test and it could be printed in various materials. However, the shapeways' website would not let me select any of the ceramic materials. The website simply stated "not printable in this material".

I tried making it hollow, but that does not seem to do the trick.

Does anyone know what parts of my model need to be changed in order to make it viable for printing in ceramics?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Hollowing will only make it more expensive in ceramics. Is the sum of the bounding box at least 120mm? That is the requirement for ceramics.

3. 54216_deleted
    54216_deleted Member
    Thanks for your reply!

Indeed, the bounding box was a little too small. However, I do not want to change the dimensions of my print. Could I just add another stl-object to my design to aquire the correct bounding box size (e.g. another chess piece)?

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Check out the rules here, if you go down the the multiple parts section, you'll see that each part needs to fit the 120 rule.

5. I don't understand why the errors are generic "needs a bit more love" and "not printable in this material".

The reasons for being unavailable must be known to be tested, so why aren't they provided so people can directly go and fix them, instead of having to manually go through a checklist.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    For items that are listed as not printable, there is sometimes an explanation point that you can mouse over and get an explanation. As far as the email, that is in the works.

7. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    And to add - there are sets of conditions whereby Shapeways Mesh Medic rejects a perfectly fine model that should pass all checks, but is rejected with a generic 'needs more love' rejection due to Mesh Medic hitting a pre-defined 'time-out'*. The sets of conditions could be a model with a relatively low triangle count (sub 500k) but with a high intertwined mesh count e.g. chain maille or a high triangle count single mesh complex model (950k+) or mid/high triangle count (500k+) coloured model.

*At some point last year the time-out was 30 minutes, but I don't know if this is still the case.

Paul

[hr][hr]