Home » Community » General Discussion » Factory of the Future / NY / When and What.....
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Factory of the Future / NY / When and What..... [message #55721] Sat, 20 October 2012 20:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar CactusBones  is currently offline CactusBones
Go to my shop
I would love more details about when the new NY shapeways location will be fully operational and when orders will be printed and shipped from there. Will all finishes be offered for print through this location? Will this mean that the turn around estimate will be quicker since my models will be shipped from within US ( I am also in the US)? I will be printing mostly in metals and ceramic. Any info about where I can find answers to these questions is much appreciated!
Re: Factory of the Future / NY / When and What..... [message #55746 is a reply to message #55721 ] Sun, 21 October 2012 23:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nervoussystem  is currently offline nervoussystem
Go to my shop
to the best of my knowledge, stainless steel and ceramic are already printed in the US (and have always been)

the Shapeways factory in NY will be printing WSF and Detail family materials. not sure when though. I'm interested in knowing more about that too.

http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com
Re: Factory of the Future / NY / When and What..... [message #55753 is a reply to message #55746 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 02:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
They got a machine for Frosted. Are they getting machines for the other Detail range too?
Re: Factory of the Future / NY / When and What..... [message #55761 is a reply to message #55721 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 14:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
FUD is already coming out of NY. And if you watch the Ribbon Cutting, the Mayor pulls out the WSF scissors and uses them to cut the ribbon. Very soon more and more will be coming out of NY.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Factory of the Future / NY / When and What..... [message #55771 is a reply to message #55761 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 15:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nervoussystem  is currently offline nervoussystem
Go to my shop
sure, sure. But all of my WSFP orders are still being made in the Netherlands. I'm wondering how long until they are made in the US.

http://n-e-r-v-o-u-s.com
Re: Factory of the Future / NY / When and What..... [message #55775 is a reply to message #55721 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 18:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Today? I'll check with the people on the inside, but I got an order in the mail today that was printed in NY in WSF.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Factory of the Future / NY / When and What..... [message #55786 is a reply to message #55775 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 23:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
In Mayor Bloomberg's speech at Shapeways, he mentioned Shapeways has an office in Seattle. Anyone know what the function of that office is? ...manufacturing, logistics, something else?

[Updated on: Mon, 22 October 2012 23:01 UTC]

-Marcus
Re: Factory of the Future / NY / When and What..... [message #55792 is a reply to message #55786 ] Tue, 23 October 2012 07:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

We have a few engineers working (software and 3d development Smile ) in Seattle.

Mitch

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Factory of the Future / NY / When and What..... [message #55801 is a reply to message #55721 ] Tue, 23 October 2012 14:17 UTC Go to previous message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

Since there are just a few machines in NY (FUD and WSF) we do try to assign US orders for the NY factory.

There are currently a lot more US orders than we have the capacity for in NY as the factory is just getting going so a lot of your orders, especially large ones (Nervous Systems!) are still printed in the Netherlands.

As we build out the factory and expand our capacity there, you can be sure we'll be printing local as much as possible.

The estimate is to get the factory up and running by early 2013.

You can read more details in Kegan's blog post here: http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1692-Factory-of-the-F uture-Our-Plan-to-3D-Print-3-to-5-Million-Unique-Products-Pe r-Year-in-NYC.html

Best,
Natalia

Community Manager | Shapeways

Previous Topic:Dice in its own category?
Next Topic:Question: Silicone Bracelets (i.e., Livestrong, etc.)