Polished Colored Strong and Flexible discount

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magic, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi all,

I am very happy that Polished Dyed Strong and Flexible is now available: it's a fantastic material for dice.
    Shapeways is offering a discount, and I wanted to add a similar incentive for those who want to try this new material for dice.
    I reduced my prices so that the three dice sets of my Truncated Spheres family are now $10 off!
    So for a limited amount of time, in Polished Dyed Strong and Flexible (4 different colors):
    - the Sphere Dice Set is $39.90 instead of $49.90 (7 dice: D4, D6, D8, D10, D%, D12 and D20)
    - the Odd Spherical Dice set is $25.90 instead of $35.90 (6 dice: D9, D11, D13, D15, D17 and D19)
    - the DCC Expansion Pack is $34.90 instead of $44.90 (6 dice: D3, D5, D7, D14, D16 and D24)

Here are some images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do your maths: you can get 19 colorful dice (all from D3 to D17 plus the D%, the D19, the D20 and the D24) for the price of only 10 dice!

A good way to celebrate the new colors of Shapeways, right? :D

2. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Very nice stuff!

Question: do your dice have holes for powder to escape or is powder trapped inside? I would think trapped powder would be a good thing for dice, since it would make them heavier. But then what about the dyeing?

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thank you Gibell. :)
    Yes, the powder is trapped inside. The shell is 1.5mm except under the indented numbers where it is 0.75 or 0.8mm depending on the dice.
    I never noticed any issue with the dying with the old process. Here is a picture of a (hollow) die, dyed by Shapeways and then inked and varnished by myself:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the result is more than convincing...

I will order these three sets in different colors to check the results with the new process. But to be honest, I am quite confident that there is no issue.

4. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    The reason I ask is that I've had models rejected because they were dyed and contain trapped powder. This happened a year ago or so, which makes me worried to order my models with trapped powder dyed. I often use 1mm walls, which may be more of a problem. I have seen problems after dyeing parts myself with 1mm walls.

-George

5. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    The discount period for the dice sets is over.

But I am offering now 20% off on the useless thus indispensable D1...
    [​IMG]
    Only for Color Strong and Flexible and always for a limited amount of time...

6. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    Ha, ha! That is funny! :D

Maybe I'll "roll the dice" and get one!! :laughing:

7. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    What is sure is that if you roll this die, you'll get "1"...
    :D
    Don't miss the video!

8. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    You could also do a D2.. sides of a coin.
    It would be funny to use "0" and "1" from the joke:

9. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Interesting concept indeed.
    Perhaps a simple coin or why not this kind of coin with "There are 10 kind of people:" on the outer ring (same on both side) and "those who know binary" and "those who don't know binary" on each side of the inner part...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012