Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Need help hollowing out a design
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need help hollowing out a design [message #55666] Fri, 19 October 2012 18:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar dcltdw  is currently offline dcltdw
Go to all my models
I'm trying to hollow out this solid model http://www.shapeways.com/model/732444/37c490266b848c0a94a894 89cfd0a25b to bring down the cost.

I'm trying to use 1.5mm walls, and I generated the attached STL. However, when I upload that to Shapeways, it just becomes a solid disk. In netfabb, if I run the Automatic Repair, it similarly just fills in everything.

Are there primers out there on the web that people can point me at? Specifically, I'm trying to figure out why netfabb is squawking about my design. I'm not at all surprised I made a mistake, but all I get is a giant caution symbol and no details. I'm hoping there's a way I can get netfabb to tell me, "yo, this part here, this is bogus".

• Attachment: qc6.stl
    (Size: 401.06KB, Downloaded 38 time(s))

Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55667 is a reply to message #55666 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 18:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The problem is you need an escape hole. Any internal geometry not attached to the outside geometry will automatically be deleted. Also check the intended material page for any required escape hole size for build material removal.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55668 is a reply to message #55667 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 18:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
My bad, I should've mentioned that. There's a 2mm x 2mm escape hole on one of the cross-arms.

I've included a DAE in case the hole got mangled in all the file conversions.

• Attachment: qc6.dae
    (Size: 791.81KB, Downloaded 51 time(s))

Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55669 is a reply to message #55668 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 18:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Ah, I did not notice that. Your next problem is internal faces. Along the ring you have faces that connect the hollow inside to the outside. The software will try to make sense of this and is most likely what is causing your issues. I highlighted a few of the faces in this image. (I deleted the top surface)
index.php?t=getfile&id=21916&private=0

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55670 is a reply to message #55668 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 19:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Okay, this is where I maybe expose how little I know about 3D modelling. For instance, I'm not having an a-Ha! moment with the screenshot you sent. :/

My understanding is, in Sketchup, surfaces either have a white or blue surface. All of the "exposed to air" surfaces need to be white.

1. Is that right?

2. Any other details I'm missing?

3. Does this mean that I have faces in my model that are improperly colored? Is there a way to get Sketchup / MeshLab / netfabb to highlight this?
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55672 is a reply to message #55666 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 19:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I used Blender to show you what I found, but I don't know blender well enough to easily fix it. I know even less about using Sketchup. Basically, you have extra faces in your shell. The software see's these faces, and uses the direction they're facing to try and figure out why they are there. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you more with how to fix it.

Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55677 is a reply to message #55666 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 20:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
dcltdw wrote on Fri, 19 October 2012 18:32

all I get is a giant caution symbol and no details.

Click on the red + sign at the top right of the menu bar. It'll show you (hilighted in yellow) where the problem spots are.

This one is going to be a bit tricky to fix.. you've got several holes where you expect faces, and some faces where they should not be. Further, in the STL.. I don't see the escape hole that you're talking about.

What you might attempt is uploading your model to the Cloud version of Netfabb and see if it will fix the shape.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55682 is a reply to message #55677 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 22:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Repaired in Netfabb
As can be seen in the image the inside walls are touching the outside walls. The bottom image is correct. The walls should not touch each other except were they join at the hole 'inside to outside'

index.php?t=getfile&id=21931&private=0

[Updated on: Fri, 19 October 2012 23:51 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55694 is a reply to message #55682 ] Sat, 20 October 2012 02:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Aha, that's really illuminating! Thanks so much for explaining Smile
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55695 is a reply to message #55694 ] Sat, 20 October 2012 02:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Good job continuing your work on the Cross pendant. I thought the dae looked familiar, minus the chick.Smile Sketchup is a pain, but when you have the technique down its not so bad, especially for models destined for 3D printing.
I was curious as the technique you used to hollow it out, if you would explain. I downloaded SU a week ago, and am intrigued

*Attention to Blender users* If you export your file as a dae,and you set unit measurements in scene as a cm,mm, or inch to replace a bu, for a upload to Shapeways, it will be printed in those measurements. Less being driven crazy by scaling factors.Happy times

[Updated on: Sat, 20 October 2012 03:12 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55697 is a reply to message #55695 ] Sat, 20 October 2012 02:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Draw out the concentric circles and cross-lines.
Push up the innermost rings and the outer wall most of the way. Push up the "floor" (i.e., the stuff in-between) up 1.5mm.
Flip model over.
Fill in the exposed open areas.
Flip model back over.
Create the escape tunnel.
Then -- and this is where I probably did it wrong -- draw lines on the top to create a base, and then push that up 1.5mm. This is where I probably had problems as described above.
Smooth all lines.

I just fixed my original model by judicious use of Hide face and then erasing the right faces. I'm not exactly sure how to otherwise get the minimum width on the top face without re-doing what I did, but I'm a sketchup newbie, so I'm probably missing some trick. Smile
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55698 is a reply to message #55697 ] Sat, 20 October 2012 03:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Sheesh, creating any model is difficult enough. Creating one for 3D printing takes a evil mindset. Now you just need something for the chain to be connected to you pendant.*Cackles madly*

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55744 is a reply to message #55697 ] Sun, 21 October 2012 16:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
dcltdw wrote on Sat, 20 October 2012 02:57

Draw out the concentric circles and cross-lines.
Push up the innermost rings and the outer wall most of the way. Push up the "floor" (i.e., the stuff in-between) up 1.5m

Copy and paste your first sketch,. Before you 'pushup' the faces, delete all of the extra lines that you do not need. Delete the faces you don't want, Then 'pushup' the remaining shape by the thickness you want. It will be one shape, Make component. Go to the copy you pasted. Offset the edges by the amount of wall thickness you want. Repeat above, deleting extra lines and faces. Pushup by the amount you want minus two wall thickness. Make component. Move the smaller component onto the larger. Pick face view, move smaller component vertically down by the wall thickness measurement. Draw escape hole in one of the sides pushup to meet inner wall.

index.php?t=getfile&id=21983&private=0

• Attachment: SU model.png
    (Size: 57.88KB, Downloaded 108 time(s))

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55749 is a reply to message #55744 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 01:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I just noticed that you had another thread going at the same time.... (I'm slow on the uptake sometimes)

Two quick notes:
- The model "QC6A" above has walls only 1.5mm thick.. the minimum for glass is 3mm.
- You are aware that Glass is not transparent, but opaque white, correct?

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Need help hollowing out a design [message #55752 is a reply to message #55749 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 01:56 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Oh right, I knew that about min walls. But my first few models had walls that were 3mm. Maybe I should bump them to 3.5 to get them over the threshold and try again.

Yeah, I saw the photos about them being opaque. Smile

Previous Topic:Blender and Colored Sandstone Tutorial
Next Topic:tolerance material (or more accurately clearance)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.