Home » Community » General Discussion » WSF Separation Distance
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WSF Separation Distance [message #55542] Thu, 18 October 2012 00:07 UTC Go to next message
avatar AlanHudson  is currently offline AlanHudson
Go to my shop
I work here
I'm working in WSF and having some issues understanding when a hole will be preserved.

I have the following design:

index.php?t=getfile&id=21817&private=0

My hope was most of the holes would be preserved. It seems like most where not. Is there a guideline for how small a hole can be. I can't find one on the material page. I feel like it used to be there.

it feels like the powder could not be removed from the holes. I made this 1mm thick so perhaps it would have broken if the depowder air was really forced onto it.

If I make this part thicker do you think it can be better cleaned(if that is the problem)? Or do I really just need to make the holes larger?

Originally the holes where larger but then the wallthickness was below 0.7mm. I tried to respect that more by thickening the lines but I'm not really happy with the final outcome. A lot of the holes are 0.5mm square or greater, they have an indent but don't go all the way through.

I'll put a picture of the 3d printed object next message.

• Attachment: leaf.png
    (Size: 332.17KB, Downloaded 117 time(s))

Director 3D Tools
Re: WSF Separation Distance [message #55543 is a reply to message #55542 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 00:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Here is the printed object.

index.php?t=getfile&id=21818&private=0

• Attachment: IMAG0245.jpg
    (Size: 0.99MB, Downloaded 115 time(s))

Director 3D Tools
Re: WSF Separation Distance [message #55547 is a reply to message #55543 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 03:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
If forum is not acting up and matching wrong titles to user accounts (._.) then so ironic SW will finally make SS without bronze. (^_^) *badabum tish*
Re: WSF Separation Distance [message #55549 is a reply to message #55543 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 06:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Are these holes really fused closed, or can you push a sewing pin through ? (In the latter case,
tapping the piece with a steel brush might work - but at least it could give people an idea of how
far the hole diameter is from the minimum.)
Re: WSF Separation Distance [message #55550 is a reply to message #55547 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 06:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
@stannum
Not sure what you saw - I do not see anything about new steel options now in the link you gave
(which appears to be not a brand new document - maybe they pushed documents for a later
upgrade or internal test by mistake during last night's update and reverted them shortly after ?)
Also, WTF does this have to do with a question about WSF ?
Re: WSF Separation Distance [message #55565 is a reply to message #55542 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 13:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Giles,

Unfortunately, as you can see in the document stannum linked to, this depends on print orientation and wall thickness.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: WSF Separation Distance [message #55581 is a reply to message #55565 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 16:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
this was the document I remembered, thanks. Add my name to the list of people who want to specify orientation of my printed part and I'm willing to pay more for the consistency. There are some designs which could be 3d printed nicely but they would have to be printed in the same direction each time.

Director 3D Tools
Re: WSF Separation Distance [message #55585 is a reply to message #55542 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 17:06 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
This is on the todo list, and it's not just on the list, but I have heard murmurs of a solution recently.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Specific Engineering Tables
Next Topic:Where are all the FREE downloads?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.