WSF Separation Distance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlanHudson, Oct 17, 2012.

1. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    I'm working in WSF and having some issues understanding when a hole will be preserved.

I have the following design:

leaf.png

My hope was most of the holes would be preserved. It seems like most where not. Is there a guideline for how small a hole can be. I can't find one on the material page. I feel like it used to be there.

it feels like the powder could not be removed from the holes. I made this 1mm thick so perhaps it would have broken if the depowder air was really forced onto it.

If I make this part thicker do you think it can be better cleaned(if that is the problem)? Or do I really just need to make the holes larger?

Originally the holes where larger but then the wallthickness was below 0.7mm. I tried to respect that more by thickening the lines but I'm not really happy with the final outcome. A lot of the holes are 0.5mm square or greater, they have an indent but don't go all the way through.

I'll put a picture of the 3d printed object next message.

2. AlanHudson
    Here is the printed object.

IMAG0245.jpg

3. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    If forum is not acting up and matching wrong titles to user accounts (._.) then so ironic SW will finally make SS without bronze. (^_^) *badabum tish*

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Are these holes really fused closed, or can you push a sewing pin through ? (In the latter case,
    tapping the piece with a steel brush might work - but at least it could give people an idea of how
    far the hole diameter is from the minimum.)

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    @stannum
    Not sure what you saw - I do not see anything about new steel options now in the link you gave
    (which appears to be not a brand new document - maybe they pushed documents for a later
    upgrade or internal test by mistake during last night's update and reverted them shortly after ?)
    Also, WTF does this have to do with a question about WSF ?

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Giles,

Unfortunately, as you can see in the document stannum linked to, this depends on print orientation and wall thickness.

7. AlanHudson
    this was the document I remembered, thanks. Add my name to the list of people who want to specify orientation of my printed part and I'm willing to pay more for the consistency. There are some designs which could be 3d printed nicely but they would have to be printed in the same direction each time.

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    This is on the todo list, and it's not just on the list, but I have heard murmurs of a solution recently.