Home »  » General Discussion » Rings and Blender
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Rings and Blender [message #55470] Wed, 17 October 2012 02:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar crazydoodler6  is currently offline crazydoodler6
Go to all my models
Hey I am new to shapeways and 3D modeling in general. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any direction or tutorials on how to go from a blender model to a printed object. I am hoping to design an engagement ring for my girl friend and am wondering about how to go about setting a stone in a ring printed from shapeways. Any help any can offer would be appreciated
Re: Rings and Blender [message #55475 is a reply to message #55470 ] Wed, 17 October 2012 10:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi,

Blender Cookie will publish a Shapeways/Blender videotutorial soon! The basic process is described here:

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/exporting-from-blender

I'm not sure what the requirements are for setting a stone, maybe someone else can comment on that?

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Rings and Blender [message #55537 is a reply to message #55475 ] Wed, 17 October 2012 21:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mswlik  is currently offline Mswlik
Go to my shop
http://www.youtube.com/user/ward7299?feature=watch
This guy has some really good tutorials although sometimes he has nonmanifold models.
Hope this helps.
Re: Rings and Blender [message #55546 is a reply to message #55537 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 02:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar victorrings  is currently offline victorrings
Go to my shop
i make all my stuff with blender... even though i have used other programs in the past.

blender is well suited for ring making- i would pay special attention to the mirror function the solidify function and the subdivision function.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGs-c-YIGbM&feature=share &list=UUHMnBBBXlYdPHfgEtebNssg

this is my primer for making jewelery with blender.

chris

my website is online at
http://victorrings.weebly.com/
RINGS GALORE!
Re: Rings and Blender [message #55719 is a reply to message #55470 ] Sat, 20 October 2012 19:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
I would also like to point out that jewelry tolerances are different than print tolerances...

Woman's ring bands should be at least 2mm wide and 2mm thick... Where as Men's ring bands should be at least 3mm wide and 2mm thick. This way you wont have to have the ring repaired as often...

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Rings and Blender [message #55864 is a reply to message #55470 ] Wed, 24 October 2012 17:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crazydoodler6  is currently offline crazydoodler6
Go to all my models
Hey everyone thanks for all the help. I am making progress with blender and have run into another question. my plan is to make the top of the ring look braided then have a stone set in the middle. do you think it would be easier to make this top braided part separate from the back half circle of the ring or just make it all one piece at first? Is it possible to join two separate pieces like this?

Also on an unrelated note should I be using blender? I have little experience with 3D modeling and was wondering if something like SketchUp might serve some like me with less experience.
Re: Rings and Blender [message #55950 is a reply to message #55864 ] Fri, 26 October 2012 03:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
take a look at my website!

it is all about rings and i created everyone with BLENDER!

it is simpler than you think. there is no reason to join anything. as long as all parts are "water tight" then there isn't anything to be concerned about. there is a few things to make sure of though. when you are exporting to STL file- that is the easiest for blender to do- then you must check off on the box that says apply all modifiers. this will make sure you are not uploading an incomplete model. also make sure your units are set to something other than blender units. it makes it really difficult to understand what you are doing if this is fouled up.

i really like blender- but i have been using it for a long time. it has really come around in that time and i am sure that you can learn to like the quirks of the program. i have also used other 3d platforms- from artistic to engineering and i keep coming back to BLENDER. it is the most comprehensive 3d program that i know at the free price point...

i have seen that there some other free 3d programs out there. i would recommend that you stay away from skechup. it is very good at what it does but unfortunately that isn't modeling for 3d printing. autodesk has one or two modelers and there are even a couple of web-based ones that i have herd are pretty good, so i would start there. that is of course if you don't want to stick it out with BLENDER.

Chris Lowe,
Lead designer- VICTOR RINGS design

my website is online at
RINGS GALORE!
Re: Rings and Blender [message #55954 is a reply to message #55950 ] Fri, 26 October 2012 05:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Every program has something its better at. I downloaded Sketchup after using bender for several years out of curiosity, and it does actually makes somethings simpler than if I had to do it in blender. Not that many, but were respected for future use and imports. Some disagree, but I always consider a blender unit as a mm. If I make an object 12 x 12 x 12 in blender, chose mm(default) in a upload to SW, it will be printed the same dimensions. If I wanted it in cm 12 x 12 x12 will scale it by 10. Setting unit measurements to the correct scale factor aids in design, but the bu should be regarded, if it is not actually the truth, as a mm(less confusion with export theory.)
Big difference is if you set the unit measurement in scenes for a bu to equal a cm, or an inch, and export it as a .dae. SW recognizes the unit measurement you set in blender. You want it in inches, select Imperial, set scale at .0254

But since you are new to modelling, practice with what you are comfortable with. If you need more sophisticated models, spend time with a 3D modelling program that can fill your needs better.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Rings and Blender [message #55963 is a reply to message #55954 ] Fri, 26 October 2012 10:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
that is the way that it went pre 2.5...

since then it is set and forget...

there is no need to do any conversion...

you can even model something in meters and then set it to inches and it will come out right.... that is as long as you set the STL import at Shapeways to the units that blender was set at when you exported it...

further demonstration can be made if necessary.

Chris Lowe,
Lead designer- VICTOR RINGS design

my website is online at
RINGS GALORE!
Re: Rings and Blender [message #56057 is a reply to message #55950 ] Sat, 27 October 2012 20:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Thanks for the help with unit scale. Experiments has proven same technique also works with x3d and wrl formats for printing colors and textures.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:Mold making for multi-color / swirl plastic parts
Next Topic:Is there a general template for Shapeways?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.