Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Center of gravity?
Search Search  
 () 2 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Center of gravity? [message #55424] Tue, 16 October 2012 07:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
Hello

I have to check whether a complex shape will balance properly.

Can somebody advice how to find the center of gravity of an object (before actually printing it)?

I use Blender and can handle Netfabb.

Greetings
Dragoman
Re: Center of gravity? [message #55464 is a reply to message #55424 ] Tue, 16 October 2012 23:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bvr  is currently offline bvr
Go to my shop
Dragoman,
Not sure if that is a feature of Blender. The cad software I use has a checkbox for it, and it sure is handy for pendants and things that hang. Do you have any cad software available?
bvr

Buffalo, 360° @ a time
Re: Center of gravity? [message #55469 is a reply to message #55464 ] Wed, 17 October 2012 01:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Actually I think Meshlab can detect it. Import your model, click Filter/Quality Measures and Computations/Compute Geometric Measures. Then click show layer dialog icon. Looks like a sheaf of papers(It is under the Window in the top header) Center of mass looks like what you are looking for. Plus gives bounding box dimensions, surface area and volume. Lots of goodies, besides it being free.Smile
Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Center of gravity? [message #55604 is a reply to message #55469 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 18:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
Thanks.

I installed Meshlab and I got it to work. On some test cases, the CG seem to be where I expect it to be. Razz

Greetings
Dragoman
Re: Center of gravity? [message #56701 is a reply to message #55469 ] Mon, 12 November 2012 15:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That's a great trick Fredd, thanks!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Center of gravity? [message #56715 is a reply to message #55469 ] Mon, 12 November 2012 17:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Fredd wrote on Wed, 17 October 2012 01:42

Actually I think Meshlab can detect it. Import your model, click Filter/Quality Measures and Computations/Compute Geometric Measures. Then click show layer dialog icon. Looks like a sheaf of papers(It is under the Window in the top header) Center of mass looks like what you are looking for. Plus gives bounding box dimensions, surface area and volume. Lots of goodies, besides it being free.Smile
Keith

A most excellent top tip http://www.shapeways.com/forum/images/message_icons/icon14.gif

Thanks Smile

Paul

Re: Center of gravity? [message #57140 is a reply to message #55469 ] Tue, 20 November 2012 11:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Fredd,

we thought this tip was good enough to share with a larger audience and turned it into a blogpost!

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1771-Quick-Tip-Findin g-the-Center-of-Mass-of-a-Model.html

Thanks again Smile

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Center of gravity? [message #57168 is a reply to message #57140 ] Tue, 20 November 2012 18:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I am just curious for how long people have been looking for that info?
Oh well, I am glad it could be of some help, and thanks.

Keith

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Center of gravity? [message #59163 is a reply to message #56715 ] Mon, 24 December 2012 14:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Plumguy  is currently offline Plumguy
Go to my shop
While using Blender, would the best format for MeshLab to import be STL?
Re: Center of gravity? [message #59167 is a reply to message #55424 ] Mon, 24 December 2012 17:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
It doesn't really matter. Beware though if you are going to use it, and are going to let SW boolean join some meshes together when your model gets uploaded, there will be a discrepancy.
Bigg news though!!! Blender 2.65a release has an option to move the origin to the center of mass, which is the same thing. Do this in object mode from the tool panel.Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 25 December 2012 17:42 UTC]

Keith
Re: Center of gravity? [message #59908 is a reply to message #59167 ] Wed, 09 January 2013 14:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar roofoo  is currently offline roofoo
Go to my shop
Fredd wrote on Mon, 24 December 2012 17:20

Bigg news though!!! Blender 2.65a release has an option to move the origin to the center of mass, which is the same thing. Do this in object mode from the tool panel.Smile

Sweet, thanks for that tip!

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign
Re: Center of gravity? [message #62264 is a reply to message #59908 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 22:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Tigermoth  is currently offline Tigermoth
Go to my shop
Great advice Fredd!
This should be an important feature in all 3d apps imo.

For the Rhino users, select object > Analyze/ Mass properties/ Volume Centroid.

I've been working on some balancing acts myself...dunno how well this actually works, but will know more when my next shipment arrives! Wink

Previous Topic:Pricing
Next Topic:Mandelbulb - 3D fractal generator to 3D Print via voxel stacking.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.