Google Sketchup possible

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 188_deleted, Mar 15, 2008.

1. 188_deleted
    188_deleted Member
    Is it possible to use Google Sketchup for 3D modelling adn export in a format that U-design.it can handle?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  2. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi Ton,

yes and no: Google Sketchup files are just zipped archives that contain Collada files inside, but those files aren't properly triangulated so you can't upload them yet. We're preparing a new release of the 3D backend though which can handle non-triangulated files (and a lot more!) and after that it should be possible.

I'll give this a try and let you know how to do this once the new tools are in place!

Cheers,

Bart

3. bartv
    bartv Member
    To import Sketchup models in U-Design, take the following steps:

1. Export the model from Sketchup as a Google Earth 4 file.
    2. Rename the resulting file and give it the file extension .zip
    3. Unzip the file - inside there will be a folder called 'Models' which contains your model as a Collada file.

I've given it a couple of tries and I think our new Collada importers are already a lot better than before, but there's still something funny about the Collada files that Sketchup exports. I give you a 50/50 chance that this scenario is going to work...

4. robert
    robert Member
    Hi Ton,

Maybe we can help you getting your model into our system?

If you sent me a WaveFront (.obj) export from Google Sketchup I can try to convert it for you.

Please sent it to service@u-design.it

Best regards,

Robert

5. 128_deleted
    128_deleted Member
    Guys,

I was just curious whether the conversion did work?

Cheers,

Jochem

6. 2759_deleted
    2759_deleted Member
    I also have a Google Sketchup! file that I would like to try out. Would you be willing to take a look at it for me? I am very excited about using your service.

I have attached the same type of .obj file you requested from Ton in this thread.

Attached Files:

7. pete
    pete Shapeways Employee CEO
    Hi,

please find your file attached as collada.
    It is a very solid model, which means even scaled to 9x9x9 cm it is quite a lot of material. Try and make the blocks hollow will significantly reduce the price!

Peter

Attached Files:

8. 2759_deleted
    2759_deleted Member
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I am very amateur at 3D modeling so hopefully I can figure out how to 'hollow out' this model. Thanks for getting this converted for me, it looks great.

9. 3964_deleted
    3964_deleted Member
    Sketchup pro can export as a collada file (.dae), are you saying that these files are also not properly triangulated, despite being in the collada format?

10. 9752_deleted
    9752_deleted Member
    Hi,

I too am using Google Sketchup and am having problems. Accutrans indicates a watertight mesh, however some edges are shared with 3 or more polygons (I can't find them though). When I import the model into Blender I receive an error message that the meshes include "old style edgecodes."

Please find my .obj file attached. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• GH.obj

File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  11. pjrebordao
    pjrebordao Member
    I managed to use Sketchup Pro and get a printable model, using this approach:

- Export from Sketchup Pro as DXF
    - Use Accutrans to convert from DXF to DAE

12. 9616_deleted
    9616_deleted Member
    Hello everyone!

this just came out, haven't tried it yet but it might just be the thing for sketchup users, and it is free! Here is the article and the download site:

Article on Make magazine

Download site

Hope it works!
    :D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  13. joris
    joris Member
    I've been playing with it and I have gotten it to work once or twice.

But, somehow for me, most of the time it doesn't work and gives me all sorts of errors in the model.

Let us know if you can get it to work consistently.

I hope I'm just missing something or doing something wrong when I have to manually repair the model in sketch up.

This would indeed be really really awesome if it worked.

Joris

14. 11913_deleted
    11913_deleted Member
    I have tried numerous times, and the cadspan plugin never seems to work. A couple times I did receive what appeared to be a solid model according to meshlab and blender, but they never are accepted on upload.

15. emansipater
    emansipater Member
    Hi guys,

I didn't realise this was still an issue for some people. I do all my modelling in google sketchup. My export process is simple:

google sketchup->export 3d model->google earth 4 file(.kmz)

change the extension to .zip and extract the file.
    find the model file and open it in Meshlab.
    save as the appropriate file.

If you're careful with your models you shouldn't have any problems. The one time I did, the close holes script in Meshlab fixed it beautifully on the default settings. Every model I have submitted to Shapeways for some time has used this process, with the only exception being that I usually overscale my models in sketchup before export, and then reduce them again with Accutrans afterwards, to retain the highest possible detail for the conversion out of nurbs, and because I also find larger models easier to work with in sketchup.

If anyone else is having problems with this process, send your sketchup file my way and I'll give it a try for you. Once I got it down, this process was perfect and easy.

cheers,
    eMansipater

16. 5287_deleted
    5287_deleted Member
    I just download cadspan plug-in for sketchup, the progress is so easy. End that makes it possible for everyone to make a 3D print in sketchup.
    I will try the earht export thing tanx

17. 5287_deleted
    5287_deleted Member
    I tried the Google Earth 4 file but shapeways gives an error. So the best/easiest way for sketchup users it i think cadspan. Its is fast and easy

18. 8_Perf
    8_Perf Well-Known Member
    Ill second (third) the whole Cadspan plugin option. It works consistently for me on a mac.
    You must run all of the steps in order, and pay particular attention to the missing faces and holes that the plug in tells you to fix. Careful modeling from the start will minimize these though.

19. glyphobet
    glyphobet Member
    Here is the process that I have found successful for getting Google SketchUp (version 7.0.10248, free) models into Shapeways:

[list type=1]
    [*] Start a new model in Sketchup using the "Product design and Woodworking (millimeters)" template
    [*] Verify that the model uses millimeters by going to Window > Model Info > Units
    [*] Export the model to a .kmz file: File > Export > 3D Model
    [*] Change the .kmz extension of the file SketchUp just exported to .zip
    [*] Unzip that file (OS X's Finder will do this for you)
    [*] Inside the unzipped file you will find a "models" directory with a .dae file inside
    [*] Open that .dae file with Meshlab (it's free)
    [*] Save the model as an .stl file File > Save As > Format: STL
    [*] Go to the Shapeways upload page and select the .stl file that Meshlab just saved
    [*] Select "Millimeters" on the Shapeways upload page (this option is not visible until you choose a .stl file)
    [*] Upload the model file to Shapeways
    [*] Wait for your confirmation email from Shapeways
    [/list]

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5 for all of these steps.

It took me quite a long time to nail down a reliable method, so I hope this helps someone. :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  20. joekneale
    joekneale Member
    Thanks thanks thanks! This thread has been super helpful--and I love seeing all the free-ware (I'm tres broke)!