Size,Dimension,Measurement.. of a mesh in X3D format

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 166841_deleted, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Hi there!

I'm trying to get the right size of my model(mesh) in X3D. I've been trying to export my model with 3DMAX,MashLab,Blender. My original model in obj format created in Zbrush. I tried .wrl format used the Zbrush 3Dprint exporter tool but it messed up my UVtexture. 3DMAX can not export X3D and I can not see the measurements in MashLab.
    The weird thing is that when I create a box in Blender and export and upload it inX3D forma to shapeways I get the correct dimensions. When I do exactly the same to my model I get wrong dimensions however the picture and the 3D of my model looks ok.
    I don't know what the problem is with my model or the .
    Does anyone have the same issue?
    Is there any application that can show the exact measurement of my shape except Blender and can handle texture(UV) coordinates?

Thanks

2. If you are going to use a uv mapped object to apply a image/color on Full Colored Sandstone, it has to be in VMRL format. Oddly when you upload the model, SW recognizes each basic unit length as 1 meter!! So if your model is 10 x 10 x 10, the printer will try to print a model 10m x 10m x 10m. Which it can't do, so it gets scaled to a size that will print, so wrong dimensions.
    Post a ink to the file, its easier to diagnose a problem.
    Use Meshlab to convert your file to VMRL .If the UV mapping is looks ok in Meshlab, it will export to SW if the model has a proper mesh.
    In Meshlab if you want to see the bounding box dimensions use this Filters/Quality measure and computations/compute geographic measurements
    If you want to scale the object use this, Filters/Normals/Curvature/Orientation>Transform scale. A slight problem can occur with uploading . Scroll down on the link provided below to see what changes are needed. Makes sense actually since only access to the UV texture is in the zipped file you upload.
    https://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/textured_models_with_sket chup_and_meshlab

The .x3D format after tests proved to be a better format to export with if you have several different materials plus a uv texture on your model. The wrl only seems to support 1 material and a texture. With .x3D much more options for a colored model

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  3. Mswlik
    Mswlik Active Member
    If you scaled it in blender you might have to apply scale (Ctrl + A). Hope this helps.