Material Weight

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 211123_deleted, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Does anyone know how heavy materials are, per cm3?

I'm wanting to calculate a counter weight, but don't know how large to make it. I fond something on the internet that suggested that stainless steel was 12grams/1cm3, but there was not much in the way of info, and it was not 3d printed steel. I, unfortunatly, don't have scales sensitive enough to weigh anything lighter than 10grams, so I can't weight the objects I have had printed previously.

Can anyone help me?

2. Go google suppliers of these materials. Possiblly could find this info on density of the materials

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The densities will vary because of the printing process. The only one that I know is WSF is below 1 gram per cubic cm. I believe it was a range in the mid .90's that the outcome could be.

4. Mid7night
    Mid7night Member
  5. Thanks everyone for the help. Googling around I did eventually discover that 420 stainless steel (which the materials page claims it to be similar too) is 7750kg/m3, so 7.75g/cm3. Wikipedia said silver would be around 11g/cm3.

Unfortunatly the stainless steel data sheet doesn't actually have the density information, though it is good to know that many of the other ones do.

Ceramics is <2g/cm3, alumide is 1.36g/cm3.

EDIT: It might be worth mentioning that I think I was having trouble finding info before because I wasn't sure what I should have been looking for. Once I found the reference to 420 steel, I was finding all kinds of information.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    The stainless is about 60% stainless, 40% bronze. And is about 98% solid. Hope that helps you out.

7. It does, thanks. Bronze is apparently 7-8~ g/cm3 as well, so it should be fairly similar. It would probably be wise to calculate at 7.5g/cm3, just to be safe.

8. bvr
    bvr Member
    ararara_
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but If you are printing your counter weight in the same material would you be able to calculate based on volume? If you had a balance with a 1:1 ratio would not 1cm3 be 1cm3 on the other side of the balance?
    bvr

9. It would be, but I'm wanting to counterweight a foreign object (headphones) of variable weight (mine are 320g, but I would expect some are heavier and some are lighter).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012