Home » Support » 3D Printing » Material Weight
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material Weight [message #55380] Mon, 15 October 2012 13:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar ararara_  is currently offline ararara_
Go to all my models
Does anyone know how heavy materials are, per cm3?

I'm wanting to calculate a counter weight, but don't know how large to make it. I fond something on the internet that suggested that stainless steel was 12grams/1cm3, but there was not much in the way of info, and it was not 3d printed steel. I, unfortunatly, don't have scales sensitive enough to weigh anything lighter than 10grams, so I can't weight the objects I have had printed previously.

Can anyone help me?
Re: Material Weight [message #55471 is a reply to message #55380 ] Wed, 17 October 2012 02:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Go google suppliers of these materials. Possiblly could find this info on density of the materials

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Material Weight [message #55491 is a reply to message #55380 ] Wed, 17 October 2012 13:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The densities will vary because of the printing process. The only one that I know is WSF is below 1 gram per cubic cm. I believe it was a range in the mid .90's that the outcome could be.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Material Weight [message #55504 is a reply to message #55380 ] Wed, 17 October 2012 16:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mid7night  is currently offline Mid7night
Go to my shop
The densities of most of the materials are listed in a Material Data Sheet on each material's detail page: http://www.shapeways.com/materials

For example, WSF: http://www.shapeways.com/rrstatic/material_docs/mds-strongfl ex.pdf

Alumide: http://www.shapeways.com/rrstatic/material_docs/mds-alumide. pdf

Look on those pages for the line called "Density of laser-sintered part" (not "Bulk density"), and you'll find what you're looking for.
Re: Material Weight [message #55553 is a reply to message #55504 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 08:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks everyone for the help. Googling around I did eventually discover that 420 stainless steel (which the materials page claims it to be similar too) is 7750kg/m3, so 7.75g/cm3. Wikipedia said silver would be around 11g/cm3.

Unfortunatly the stainless steel data sheet doesn't actually have the density information, though it is good to know that many of the other ones do.

Ceramics is <2g/cm3, alumide is 1.36g/cm3.

EDIT: It might be worth mentioning that I think I was having trouble finding info before because I wasn't sure what I should have been looking for. Once I found the reference to 420 steel, I was finding all kinds of information.

[Updated on: Thu, 18 October 2012 08:39 UTC]

Re: Material Weight [message #55567 is a reply to message #55380 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 13:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
The stainless is about 60% stainless, 40% bronze. And is about 98% solid. Hope that helps you out.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Material Weight [message #55639 is a reply to message #55567 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 08:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
It does, thanks. Bronze is apparently 7-8~ g/cm3 as well, so it should be fairly similar. It would probably be wise to calculate at 7.5g/cm3, just to be safe.
Re: Material Weight [message #55705 is a reply to message #55380 ] Sat, 20 October 2012 10:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bvr  is currently offline bvr
Go to my shop
ararara_
Perhaps I'm missing something, but If you are printing your counter weight in the same material would you be able to calculate based on volume? If you had a balance with a 1:1 ratio would not 1cm3 be 1cm3 on the other side of the balance?
bvr

Buffalo, 360° @ a time
Re: Material Weight [message #55730 is a reply to message #55705 ] Sat, 20 October 2012 23:15 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
It would be, but I'm wanting to counterweight a foreign object (headphones) of variable weight (mine are 320g, but I would expect some are heavier and some are lighter).

[Updated on: Sat, 20 October 2012 23:20 UTC]

Previous Topic:Stainless steel nickel finish
Next Topic:Why can't I print this in glass?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.