Home » Support » Suggestions » It's Time to Stop Using UPS--(we did! USPS inside)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74148 is a reply to message #72747 ] Wed, 04 September 2013 01:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
The situation with UPS is becoming completely intolerable. After I filed a claim a couple weeks ago (they lost two packages), they've started requiring a signature every time, with every delivery (the drivers can't 'release' the packages anymore). That in and of itself was acceptable, if annoying; but NOW, they've rolled out 'Operation: F--k You'! They're now only making ONE delivery attempt before they turn around and drop those packages off at the UPS store.

I'm in College and I work, okay? Not often am I there for the first attempt. Basically this means that, EVERY SINGLE TIME I miss ONE delivery, they expect me to bus for forty minutes, pick up my packages (often 20+), and, carrying my 20+ packages, bus forty minutes back. I've been on the phone with them three times now. Each time they told me they would fix it, and they didn't. I'm going down to my local warehouse to complain in person tomorrow.

Shapeways, you can make the argument that UPS is at fault here all you want; the truth is, YOU ARE. You are FORCING me to ship using UPS because you steadfastly REFUSE to offer me any alternative. This is 100% YOUR fault and I find the way I have been treated insulting, demeaning, and disrespectful. This has been 'on your radar' for how long now? That's a neat way of saying, 'we're burying our heads in the sand and hoping the problem will go away if we ignore it long enough', but I'm SICK of waiting around while you sit there with your thumb up your arse pretending everything is okay. I NEED a solution, and you are REFUSING to offer me one.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74206 is a reply to message #74148 ] Wed, 04 September 2013 23:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
20 orders in 20 boxes? Or less orders split among 20 boxes?
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74219 is a reply to message #74148 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 08:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey PeregrineStudios,

for what it's worth, Natalia and I have been fighting to get other shipping options provided for over a year for exactly these reasons, but other issues seem to take precedence. We'll keep doing that, even if we can't give you an ETA..

What I CAN do for you now is dig in to this issue - from what I understand, these are not the conditions of our contract with UPS. I'll talk to our contact to see if we can put some pressure on them. Are you okay with me sharing your contact information with them?

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
icon14.gif  Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74272 is a reply to message #74219 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 16:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rjbeeth  is currently offline rjbeeth
Go to all my models
Well I'm really REALLY pleased to see someone from Shapeways finally respond to this forum - it's amazed me that so many people have posted here about the problems with UPS and all have (for lack of a better word) been completely ignored!

I have not used Shapeways since my first experience with them because of UPS shipping - and from what I can see here it is a global phenomenon not just a US/Canada one!

I was very VERY pleased to receive an online survey today, which appeared to be extremely Shapeways orientated, about 3D printing. There were multiple opportunities to once again try to get the message across that they have a problem with shipping and until they fix that, many (most?) who try to use their service either won't, or will never again, use their capabilities.

Shapeways can be a great 3D service for anyone, anywhere. There would be no need to buy personal 3D printers if everyone used Shapeways... but that will NEVER happen until they fix their shipping issues (and again we aren't talking about paying the taxes and duty - we are talking about the rip-off extra charges put on items by UPS) by opening up their shipping to other services such as Post - it may be a little slower sometimes BUT they don't rip off the customer with bogus charges!.... sorry...

Hopefully the slumbering Shapeways giant is finally starting to wake up and notice.... and ideally fix the problem.... it's long over due.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74282 is a reply to message #74272 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 17:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

...and from what I can see here it is a global phenomenon not just a US/Canada one!

Not true at all - works absolutely perfectly for me here in continental Europe.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74286 is a reply to message #74282 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 17:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar terenceyan  is currently offline terenceyan
Go to all my models
AmLachDesigns wrote on Thu, 05 September 2013 17:14

Quote:

...and from what I can see here it is a global phenomenon not just a US/Canada one!

Global doesn't mean everybody. Global means it happens in other parts of the world as well.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74296 is a reply to message #74286 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 19:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

Global doesn't mean everybody. Global means it happens in other parts of the world as well.
You are mistaken. Global means it happens everywhere in the world.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74299 is a reply to message #74296 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 19:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
AmLachDesigns wrote on Thu, 05 September 2013 19:05

Quote:

You are mistaken. Global means it happens everywhere in the world.

Which it does.

We're missing the point here, though. It doesn't matter if someone else DOESN'T have this problem, the fact remains that MANY of us do, because Shapeways refuses to offer alternatives. I WANT to believe the above response that you've 'been fighting for it', but so far all I've seen is lip service. Let's see some results, then we'll talk.

I DO appreciate you looking into UPS' side of this, however.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 September 2013 19:14 UTC]

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74305 is a reply to message #74299 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 21:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Of course everyone who has problems with UPS has my sympathies, it must be terrible - I was just replying to this one point.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74309 is a reply to message #74305 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lancer525  is currently offline lancer525
Go to all my models
In other words, you had nothing constructive or valuable to contribute on point, so you decided to quibble pedantically over semantics.

Check.

The fact is this: If Shapeways were the least bit interested in providing any kind of acceptable customer service, they would have had shipping alternatives other than just UPS available months ago.

Since there are still people who don't care enough about this issue to still continue to purchase from them, they have no reason to act on it.

Only when it is seriously and measurably cutting into their profits will they ever take any action, and it appears then only grudgingly, based on their rather flabby comment in this thread.

Yet another reason why I won't ever purchase from them again. No respect for customers.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74324 is a reply to message #74309 ] Fri, 06 September 2013 06:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
lancer525 wrote on Thu, 05 September 2013 21:35

In other words, you had nothing constructive or valuable to contribute on point, so you decided to quibble pedantically over semantics.
Check.

No, you were stating that UPS is a problem everywhere, for everyone and I was simply offering an alternative experience.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74325 is a reply to message #74324 ] Fri, 06 September 2013 06:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 3rdboxcar  is currently offline 3rdboxcar
Go to my shop
I agree with AmLachDesigns, UPS have never failed for me, delivered to the UK from Eindhoven in under 24 hours every time.

As I have said in previous posts it is unfortunate some people are having problems but since this thread is not a zillion pages long I suspect the problems are in the extreme minority and unfortunately with life as it is in today's mass markets things are going to go wrong from time to time, if UPS or any shipper were to increase their charges by say 5 times to guarantee a 100% service there would be a thread about their extortionate costs.

And before there is a vicious reply about UPS costs may I say that shipping by Dutch post would be more expensive and slower for me.

I would hope that Shapeways would take up any shipping complaints with UPS.

PeregrineStudios wrote on Wed, 04 September 2013 01:57

they've started requiring a signature every time, with every delivery (the drivers can't 'release' the packages anymore). T.

That has always been the system here in the UK, they will only accept a signature from the delivery address. What's wrong with that, if they delivered to somebody else and you did not get your package then there would be complaints all over.

Alexander. N Scale American modeller. Please visit my shop Boxcar Models.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74326 is a reply to message #74282 ] Fri, 06 September 2013 07:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Innovo  is currently offline Innovo
Go to my shop
AmLachDesigns wrote on Thu, 05 September 2013 17:14

Quote:

Same here even though I support the alternative of regular post for a more economic available option.

Innovation & Design

http://www.etsy.com/shop/InnovoDesign
www.facebook.com/byInnovoDesign
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74330 is a reply to message #74326 ] Fri, 06 September 2013 12:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
H-okay.

Firstly, it's hardly an extreme minority. If UPS is working fine for you, then I am THRILLED for you - for a GREAT many of us, UPS is NOT working at all. Hence, the need for more than ONE shipping option. They're called choices, and you'll find them on every website except this one.

For ME (not for everyone, but for ME and a GREAT many others), UPS is the least desirable choice. Their customer service is impenetrable, many of their drivers do not give a single sh!t, they charge ludicrous brokerage fees, their UPS Stores are built in (I swear) the most inconvenient locations they can find... The list goes on. For many of you, a lot of these problems don't apply - maybe you live right next to a UPS store, and maybe your driver is actually your nephew, and a pretty nice guy. That's why we need OPTIONS. You can pick what works for you, and I can pick what works for me.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74861 is a reply to message #74330 ] Mon, 16 September 2013 12:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey PeregrineStudios,

I had a talk with our customer service people. Apparently it's up to the discretion of the driver in certain areas to plan multiple deliveries, require a signature etc. That's super unhelpful, I know. Let me just say that Natalia and I seem to be making some progress convincing the team to work on other delivery options Smile

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74921 is a reply to message #74861 ] Tue, 17 September 2013 13:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lancer525  is currently offline lancer525
Go to all my models
bartv wrote on Mon, 16 September 2013 12:32

Hey PeregrineStudios,

I had a talk with our customer service people. Apparently it's up to the discretion of the driver in certain areas to plan multiple deliveries, require a signature etc. That's super unhelpful, I know. Let me just say that Natalia and I seem to be making some progress convincing the team to work on other delivery options Smile

Bart

Once again, I call BS. What they told you simply isn't true. All of the major shipping/delivery services have computer-planned routes, GPS control over what route the drivers take, and not every package is tagged for signature delivery.

If the fact that you're all losing customers because you steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that you have a huge customer service deficit isn't enough, then you won't ever convince them that you need to work on other delivery options.

The statement that your "team" isn't the least bit interested in giving your paying customers what they want is enough to "convince" me to go out of my way to not only avoid using your services ever, but also to spread the word far and wide that you don't care a damn bit about your customers needs and wants. Maybe, just maybe if you lose enough business to make a definitive hole in your income, you'll understand that in the marketplace, the customer drives everything. Oh sure, you'll get stupid people who will keep using your service because they don't know better, but the vast majority of us who have had major problems won't continue to bend over and take it.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 September 2013 13:08 UTC]

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74926 is a reply to message #74921 ] Tue, 17 September 2013 13:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Actually, Bart is correct in one respect and not correct in another. I have - after many painful hours yelling at UPS - confirmed two things. Firstly, my packages themselves are NOT tagged for requiring a signature. However, because I once filed a claim (they lost two of my packages), their security department marked my address as 'No Driver-Release'. Meaning any package, coming from any company, will require a signature for UPS, even if the packages were not marked as such. The drivers DO have discretion to request a signature or not - if it's a sketchy neighbourhood and they're delivering a laptop, they'll request a signature rather than driver-release and leave it on the step, for example. My local drivers have made it quite clear that if it were up to them, they would driver-release at my house as I want, but it's not - their little 'UPS driver pinpads' lock up and say 'No Driver Release' if they try to.

Secondly, I'm happy to hear that you're making progress - you'll forgive me if I don't simply accept that at face value, though. I don't want to be rude, but in all frankness, I've heard it before. Many times. There's been an awful lot of vague, unmeasurable, 'progress' on this problem, for months now. 'It's on our radar', 'we're exploring other options', 'we're making progress'. I'll be pleased when I see something definitive, not before. Once bitten, twice shy.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #74962 is a reply to message #74926 ] Wed, 18 September 2013 06:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HazelwoodModels  is currently offline HazelwoodModels
Go to my shop

I confirm that I have not had any problems with UPS at our locations.
- and my local driver supports Arsenal too, so that can't be bad!
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75036 is a reply to message #74325 ] Wed, 18 September 2013 17:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ivo_knutsel  is currently offline ivo_knutsel
Go to all my models
I understand Shapeways needs UPS for international shipping but i believe UPS is a bad choice for a large part of Europe.

Using UPS to ship packages to me personally is pretty much useless. The box needs to be signed for and doesn't fit through the letterbox and the UPS delivery times are the same a the hours i'm expected to be at work. There is no way UPS can hand me this package and UPS doesn't seem to have a plan when they cannot hand over the package. It took me hours and trips to two different depots before i actually got my stuff.

PostNL (and by extension BPost, USPS.. and all the other old fashioned mail carriers) can be picked up every day between 8:00 and 20:00 at the supermarket just around the corner. I can manage and track parcels to me via their website.

I'll pay extra to not have to use UPS / Fedex / DHL
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75037 is a reply to message #75036 ] Wed, 18 September 2013 17:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ivo_knutsel  is currently offline ivo_knutsel
Go to all my models
The funny thing is, it would have been quicker for me to drive to Shapeways in Eindhoven than to hunt down the package in UPS Depots.

Does Shapeways allow local pickup ? Smile
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75069 is a reply to message #75037 ] Thu, 19 September 2013 07:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
ivo_knutsel wrote on Wed, 18 September 2013 17:55

The funny thing is, it would have been quicker for me to drive to Shapeways in Eindhoven than to hunt down the package in UPS Depots.

Does Shapeways allow local pickup ? Smile

Sure, send an email to service@shapeways.com with your order number and ask for a pickup Smile
In addition, you can also choose to send the package to your work address?

At the Shapeways Eindhoven office we get a lot of packages every day from postnl with stuff that employees have ordered somewhere else Smile

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75104 is a reply to message #75069 ] Thu, 19 September 2013 21:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lgrfbs  is currently offline lgrfbs
Go to my shop
All may not work on a workplace as allow me as employee to use the company's goods reception for privet goods, I will make a deal with my local pizza place, food store or petrol station for a tiny compensation for take my package.

Member of JemtRallarna
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75317 is a reply to message #75104 ] Mon, 23 September 2013 20:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Bart, after MORE phone calls with UPS, I've received another suggestion. I've been informed that when you make the shipping label, you are able to request certain services, ie 'three delivery attempts'. Are you requesting that service? If you are, I'm not receiving it, and it's NOT due to the driver - his supervisors are threatening to write him up if he doesn't ADL my packages, despite the fact that I (and thus Shapeways) paid for that service, and despite the fact that I have explicitly requested it. That's grounds for you, as the shipper, to make one HELL of a scene on my behalf. And if you have not explicitly requested that service, please do.

Apparently I'm part of a 'pilot project' that UPS is testing in certain undisclosed areas of Canada where they will not make three attempts. That is unacceptable to me and I've never made it very clear on several occasions, which they don't care about. In a perfect world I wouldn't be forced to use UPS at all, but for now, I need Shapeways to start throwing some weight around.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75318 is a reply to message #75317 ] Mon, 23 September 2013 20:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I think it's also worth mentioning that I'm learning how to make jewelry the conventional way to avoid dealing with this bullsh!t as much as possible. No offense to those of you at Shapeways who genuinely care and want to help out, but you're the exception, not the rule; and everything I've seen so far indicates that Shapeways doesn't give one single damn about my business. If you wanted it, you wouldn't drive me away with this crap. I fully intend to deal with Shapeways as little as humanly possible until you wise up as soon as I've got more conventional jewelry methods up and running.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75321 is a reply to message #75318 ] Mon, 23 September 2013 22:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Phxman  is currently offline Phxman
Go to all my models

Peregrine Studios: - you sound as though you are in an out of the way place in Canada.
- it does not take much to be off the beaten track to expect these problems.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75322 is a reply to message #75321 ] Mon, 23 September 2013 22:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Phxman wrote on Mon, 23 September 2013 22:47

Peregrine Studios: - you sound as though you are in an out of the way place in Canada.

I'm in the middle of Ottawa >.<
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75324 is a reply to message #75322 ] Mon, 23 September 2013 23:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
PeregrineStudios wrote on Mon, 23 September 2013 22:49

So, the place to start is with your local UPS Office.

It seems to me there are several solutions to your problem.
but you may not be selling it in a way to get results Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75325 is a reply to message #75324 ] Mon, 23 September 2013 23:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Phxman wrote on Mon, 23 September 2013 23:01

PeregrineStudios wrote on Mon, 23 September 2013 22:49

So, the place to start is with your local UPS Office.

It seems to me there are several solutions to your problem.
but you may not be selling it in a way to get results Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

So now it's MY fault for not doing a good enough job convincing UPS to perform the service I paid them to do in the first place?

You are incorrect. There is ONE solution to my problem that I can pursue myself, and I have been pursuing it since day one. I've been down the local UPS office, I've been on the phone with customer service (who got the local UPS office to call me back), I've spoken to the drivers and even had them act as intermediaries and take notes to their supervisors. Tomorrow I plan to - once again - go down to the local UPS office and - once again - voice my complaints.

UPS - at least here - doesn't give a single sh!t about its customers, and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Shapeways as a whole (with a few exceptions) doesn't either.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75326 is a reply to message #59196 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 00:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models

I suggest you write outlining your experience to:-

D. Scott Davis
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
United Parcel Service
55 Glenlake Pkwy NE,
Sandy Springs, GA 30328

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75344 is a reply to message #75326 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 05:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Innovo  is currently offline Innovo
Go to my shop
Phxman wrote on Tue, 24 September 2013 00:10

I suggest you write outlining your experience to:-

D. Scott Davis
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
United Parcel Service
55 Glenlake Pkwy NE,
Sandy Springs, GA 30328

I don't think the CEO will ever get this letter in his hands, let alone read it. Every company has complaint departments to handle these issues.

Innovation & Design

http://www.etsy.com/shop/InnovoDesign
www.facebook.com/byInnovoDesign
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75345 is a reply to message #75344 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 05:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Agreed, but his name is on it should it cause embarrassment elsewhere.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75792 is a reply to message #72747 ] Mon, 30 September 2013 07:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rapierdragon  is currently offline rapierdragon
Go to my shop
What Shapeways should do for those in Canada is VERY SIMPLE.

Offer an option where if the package contents is over $20 Canadian they will list the package contents as $20 Canadian and then have some kind of second bill for us to pay to cover the insurance difference.

See, UPS can't slap us with their bogus $10+ "brokerage fee" if the item is under $20 Canadian.

Only way this could possibly maybe backfire is if Customs Canada opened a package (they only open and inspect maybe 5% of stuff) and found something expensive inside.

However, I've found that when UPS ships to Canada, almost always the only thing that Canada Customs sees is the paper copy.

So the majority of small to mid-range items, say, in the $20 to $50 range, even if by some super-rare case Canada Customs pulls an inspection, they'd be unlikely to know the real value of the box contents other than its small bits of plastic, at which point all they can do is guess the value based upon the weight of the plastic... which is so low that any fee or fine they throw onto the package would still be less than the $10+ "brokerage fee" that UPS is b.s.'ing us with.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75794 is a reply to message #75792 ] Mon, 30 September 2013 08:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 3rdboxcar  is currently offline 3rdboxcar
Go to my shop
rapierdragon wrote on Mon, 30 September 2013 07:40

Offer an option where if the package contents is over $20 Canadian they will list the package contents as $20 Canadian and then have some kind of second bill for us to pay to cover the insurance difference.

Are you suggesting that shapeways break the law?

It is an offence in most if not all countries to put false values on a customs declaration.

You are moaning about paying $10 Canadian for somebody to do work for you, the brokerage fee in the UK is £10.00 [$16.60 Canadian]. And no doubt there are other countries with an even higher fee.

Alexander. N Scale American modeller. Please visit my shop Boxcar Models.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75841 is a reply to message #75792 ] Mon, 30 September 2013 21:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
It is ill-advised to counsel another to commit fraud. Yes, the brokerage is excessive and... excremental. It sucks to have to pay it, but it's the cost of getting product from another country. I'd suggest buying either under or well over the threshold. I prefer to gang up my orders so as to still only have a single flat rate shipping fee, brokerage be damned.

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75842 is a reply to message #75841 ] Mon, 30 September 2013 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yeah, I'm all against the brokerage fees, but deliberately declaring a lower value on a package? That's called tax evasion (at best), and it's not looked kindly upon.

You are moaning about paying $10 Canadian for somebody to do work for you, the brokerage fee in the UK is £10.00 [$16.60 Canadian]. And no doubt there are other countries with an even higher fee.

And all of those fees are needless and greedy. It's money-grubbing, plain and simple. I already paid UPS to bring my package into the country. The brokerage fee is what UPS thinks is 'fair' to charge you for signing a piece of paper in your place.

Within certain limits, the brokerage is $10. Over a certain value threshold, it goes up. Then again. And again. You usually wind up paying brokerage that equals to about half the value of your package. If I order $300 worth of goods, no, sorry, it's not even remotely fair for me to be charged around $150 for that.

Even the base $10 is ludicrous. I would be thrilled to have a job where I was paid $10 for every (very simple) form filled out.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 September 2013 21:20 UTC]

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75861 is a reply to message #75794 ] Tue, 01 October 2013 03:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rapierdragon  is currently offline rapierdragon
Go to my shop
I have no problems with paying Canada Customs. Its UPS I'm sick of. From the two times I've had to pay, the actual amount that was due to Customs was like a measly FOUR BUCKS and yet by the type UPS was done with its "brokerage fee" and "convience fee" (I WAS HOME ALL DAY EVERY DAY THAT ENTIRE WEEK) and assorted other b.s. fee's, I ended up having to fork over something like $14 one time and $20 the other.

No, I'm not suggesting Shapeways break the law. Just find some way to "trick" UPS into thinking the package contents are less than they are. Maybe stick a nice note on the inside of the box reading "If this is Canada Customs, please note the actual value is (whatever) and we just tell UPS that the value is (whatever) cause UPS tricked us into this supposedly "international flat rate" deal and then they slam our customers with bogus fees which are nothing but cash-grabs."

LEGO uses DHL and the one time I went over $20, DHL decided to throw on some $18 of b.s. fees... which when I complained about, LEGO was kind enough to reimburse me what I had to pay, cause there was no flipping way that my order had an $18 import tariff (DHL doesn't seem to do this UPS-style b.s. when its one person shipping a toy to another... but when its a big company like LEGO, they seem to think they have out-smarted LEGO by sticking all their little tricky loopholes in a micro-dot on the contract or something. One guy once told me LEGO collects all those customer rebursements and then sticks them all together to sue DHL as "package never reached" and "packet lost" and other such insurance gibberish so that they can legally get the money back from DHL.

Maybe that's a route Shapeways should go. If the end-customer had to pay extra cause of UPS b.s., Shapeways can go "and does UPS have a signature proving said person received their package? No? Well then, we want the value of that package back."

3rdboxcar wrote on Mon, 30 September 2013 08:47

rapierdragon wrote on Mon, 30 September 2013 07:40

Are you suggesting that shapeways break the law?

It is an offence in most if not all countries to put false values on a customs declaration.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #75868 is a reply to message #75861 ] Tue, 01 October 2013 07:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lgrfbs  is currently offline lgrfbs
Go to my shop
rapierdragon will it bee the same thing then a package go from outside country business to business inside Canada ?
As it is now instead of a package go from outside country business to private home and you will get this "brokerage fee" .

So IF b2b not will get this "brokerage fee" can you not make a deal with the local pizza place/food store or whats ever good place so you packages will come to that place instead of you home and just pick up the packages after work?

Member of JemtRallarna
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #76082 is a reply to message #75868 ] Fri, 04 October 2013 11:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It doesn't matter who's importing, you get stuck with brokerage fees.

Claiming a lower value on a package is against the law, period. It's not an option.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #76446 is a reply to message #76082 ] Wed, 09 October 2013 16:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BernatPujol  is currently offline BernatPujol
Go to my shop
This is my first post here and i was little affraid of what could happen to my order with the ups guys...

i ordered few things (first time i use shapeways) on 25 sept, the order was shipped yesterday morning and i got all the things today at home.

NL-Spain 1 day. Not bad! Even more when our spanish post service works really bad...

Just wanted repport my case to this post!

Sorry for the mistakes Rolling Eyes
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #76496 is a reply to message #55350 ] Thu, 10 October 2013 15:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

I know shipping has been a burning issue for some time now so I'm REALLY excited to report todays release heralds the beginning of the Shipping Solutions for everyone incrementally.

For those shipping to the United States, you'll now be able to choose from the following options on Shapeways: Standard, Two Day and Next Day. This enables you to get your Shapeways products faster than ever! We want to make these options affordable and accessible, so we've priced them as low as we can. Standard shipping will cost $6.50, with Two Day costing $9.50 and Next Day costing $15.50. You've asked for improved shipping solutions for some time, and these updates are the foundation for future enhancements.

To make shipping options available as fast as possible to our entire community across the globe, we'll be unveiling expanded shipping options by region as they become available. As we move forward, we'll be able to iron out any kinks along the way, ensuring a smooth transition. We're committed to offering multiple shipping options to our worldwide customers and ask that you please be patient with us as we build relationships with new carriers around the world.

We really have heard you and this REALLY is the first in a series of exciting shipping enhancements on Shapeways so THANK YOU all for your patience, and insistence, about this issue. It feels really awesome to be able to show you that we ARE improving it, bit by incremental bit.

I'll be posting here more as we continue to roll out improvements. Your feedback is an essential part of how we continue to improve. So please, as always, let us know what you think!

Best,
Natalia (on behalf of the shipping ninjas)

[Updated on: Thu, 10 October 2013 15:41 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager

Pages (5): [ «    1  2  3  4  5    »] 

Previous Topic:Update the 3D Preview on a Model
Next Topic:Issues raised in Bug Reporting section should be acknowledged by Shapeways

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.