Home »  » Suggestions » It's Time to Stop Using UPS--(we did! USPS inside)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #76518 is a reply to message #76496 ] Thu, 10 October 2013 19:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Why did you edit out the part where you mentioned USPS to Canada?

I'm happy to see that progress - measurable, actual progress - is finally being made! Hopefully it won't be long before I can stop dealing with those UPS thugs once and for all. I do appreciate your efforts in this regard.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 October 2013 20:39 UTC]

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #76523 is a reply to message #55350 ] Thu, 10 October 2013 20:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
So I will not be accused of untruths down the road mainly! ... I also didn't want to get ahead of ourselves about promising what can be done, especially since I know how tricky this first step has been!

But that said, I'm happy about the measurable, actual progress too. I'm sure ill be back here soon to post more tangible steps Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 10 October 2013 20:46 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #76527 is a reply to message #76523 ] Thu, 10 October 2013 20:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
So there's still a chance Canada won't get a USPS option?

Excitement gone.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #76543 is a reply to message #76496 ] Fri, 11 October 2013 01:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
natalia wrote on Thu, 10 October 2013 15:32

Standard shipping will cost $6.50, with Two Day costing $9.50 and Next Day costing $15.50.

All via UPS as before? Or different companies now?
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #76553 is a reply to message #76543 ] Fri, 11 October 2013 06:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ivo_knutsel  is currently offline ivo_knutsel
Go to all my models
This is hopeful for my UPS problem : Picking up UPS packages at the local supermarket.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js =n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww .telegraaf.nl%2Fdft%2Fbedrijven%2Fpostnl%2F21965686%2F___UPS _opent_afhaalpunten_bij_Albert_Heijn___.html

I wonder if there are similar initiatives in other countries.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #76578 is a reply to message #55350 ] Fri, 11 October 2013 15:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
stannum - its still all via UPS, that's why we are able to offer it, because UPS can guarantee those service levels within the USA.

Peregrine - don't lose excitement or hope! This step is the very foundation upon which alternative shipping solutions will be built. Smile

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #77004 is a reply to message #76578 ] Fri, 18 October 2013 15:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar takadonet  is currently offline takadonet
Go to my shop
Well I cannot justify buying anything from shapways till there is a better shipping offer for Canadian customers. The shipping cost sometime are more then the item itself because UPS.

So... please hurry up and find a better alternative so I can print more!

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78069 is a reply to message #55350 ] Sun, 03 November 2013 16:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kimotion  is currently offline Kimotion
Go to my shop
I just got hit with a $24 broker fee for an order that was valued at $26. There is seriously something wrong here.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78076 is a reply to message #78069 ] Sun, 03 November 2013 19:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TrainThingz  is currently offline TrainThingz
Go to my shop
You know, instead of complaining to Shapeways (who has no control over this...) or even UPS (who has little interest in changing it) why don't you direct your complaints to Ottowa? At least they could potentially do something about it.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78078 is a reply to message #78076 ] Sun, 03 November 2013 19:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
TrainThingz wrote on Sun, 03 November 2013 19:02

You know, instead of complaining to Shapeways (who has no control over this...) or even UPS (who has little interest in changing it) why don't you direct your complaints to Ottowa? At least they could potentially do something about it.

UPS brokerage toes the line of legality. The government can't do anything about it.

I beg to differ that Shapeways has no control over it. There is one easily accessible and ready-made solution to the problem that Shapeways ought to have presented us with long ago - not forcing us to exclusively use UPS.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78080 is a reply to message #78076 ] Sun, 03 November 2013 19:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop

UPS has lots of interest on charging it! Otherwise they would no excuse to charge for such service. They pay the tax in advance (24-X), and want that money back, but also for the paperwork (manual? doubtly) they ask a lot of money (X). Canada GST is 5%, do the maths if the item was 26.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78081 is a reply to message #78080 ] Sun, 03 November 2013 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stannum wrote on Sun, 03 November 2013 19:33

UPS has lots of interest on charging it! Otherwise they would no excuse to charge for such service. They pay the tax in advance (24-X), and want that money back, but also for the paperwork (manual? doubtly) they ask a lot of money (X). Canada GST is 5%, do the maths if the item was 26.

He said changing, not charging Rolling Eyes
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78082 is a reply to message #55350 ] Sun, 03 November 2013 19:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sorry if I reopened Pandora's box again. I just needed to vent my frustration while waiting for the USPS/Canada Post option Smile
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78084 is a reply to message #55350 ] Sun, 03 November 2013 19:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
@Kimotion - My last three items were exactly like that (I live north of Toronto), $39 for a $38 item, etc. I started another thread on this subject. I looked into it and have been working with Customer Service. SOMETHING has indeed changed in the shipping dept because I found the reason for the extra high charges is because the items are being shipped by GROUND instead of AIR. UPS told me directly that when items are shipped by Ground there is more paperwork and they increase the brokerage fees. Check that item in the Brokerage Fees section of the customs slip you get with the package. Normally (and I have kept literally hundreds of these) that fee is $10. Now it varies from over double to more than triple that amount!!

Shapeways is working on offering another shipping option to us (and, yes, I believe it is close), and for some reason I think this is affecting our packages.

AS A WORKAROUND I have been told to let CS know when I place an order and make a direct request that it get shipped by Air.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78088 is a reply to message #78081 ] Sun, 03 November 2013 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ooops. *blush*
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78093 is a reply to message #78084 ] Sun, 03 November 2013 23:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Sun, 03 November 2013 19:59

@Kimotion

AS A WORKAROUND I have been told to let CS know when I place an order and make a direct request that it get shipped by Air.

That is very good to know. Thanks!
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78413 is a reply to message #78093 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 18:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar miyusuwo  is currently offline miyusuwo
Go to all my models
I just want to chime in as well in this UPS nonsense. I've just ordered something about $28 and has gone through at least 4 phone calls and listening to 5 voicemails from UPS repeatedly trying to have me consent to them being my customs broker. I have told them this is a personal shipment and I do not have my own broker and have consented a few times already. They also will only give me an estimate of $10 and no commitments on the brokerage fee they will be charging. Frankly, $10 (could be more when I find out later!) for an item $28 only as a fee (and not taxes or duties!) is quite ridiculous Mad . If I had known about this fee I would have either not ordered the part, or get it shipped to the US and drive down to pick it up. I'm still lucky because I'm close enough to justify driving across the border from time-to-time, but what about the rest of us Canadians?
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78414 is a reply to message #55350 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 18:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yesterday I received a package from shapeways WITHOUT the customs broker fee. i was actually quite confused. The label said it was shipped UPS AIR. There was a message in this forum how UPS Air don't get charged as much. I didn't even tell Shapeways about it but maybe people at Shapeways saw that post and are now deciding to ship by UPS Air? If so, and if the brokerage fees go away, it's fantastic.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78416 is a reply to message #78414 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 19:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Kimotion you were probably NOT charged anything because the item you bought was valued at less than $20. That frequently happens to me. Shapeways has not just now decided to start shipping by Air - they somehow started to ship by Ground which is where all the increased costs came from.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78417 is a reply to message #78413 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 19:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
miyusuwo wrote on Thu, 07 November 2013 18:35

..... Frankly, $10 (could be more when I find out later!) for an item $28 only as a fee (and not taxes or duties!) is quite ridiculous Mad . If I had known about this fee I would have either not ordered the part, or get it shipped to the US and drive down to pick it up. I'm still lucky because I'm close enough to justify driving across the border from time-to-time, but what about the rest of us Canadians?

Unfortunately, miyusuwo any item over $20 will incur a minimum $10 brokerage fee plus taxes. And the "solution" to ship to an address in the US won't work UNLESS you change your address in Shapeways system to the US one. A buyer cannot have an item shipped to a country that is different to where they reside... One of my pet peeves which causes me to lose business.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78419 is a reply to message #78416 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 19:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The label does say "UPS 2 Day Air." Maybe they only ship the under $20 contents by air?
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78420 is a reply to message #78419 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 19:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar terenceyan  is currently offline terenceyan
Go to all my models
The label does say "UPS 2 Day Air." Maybe they only ship the under $20 contents by air?

All items under $20 are not charged with customs duty.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78421 is a reply to message #78417 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 19:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hey lensman thanks for the response - I'm confused daily about this!

So, from what I gathered tho, is it true that if Shapeways goes with USPS instead of UPS, my order would NOT have been charged with a customs brokerage fee? Or will all shipments above $20 get charged with a broker fee no matter who it's shipped with?
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78435 is a reply to message #55350 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 22:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well, I can't answer you, I'm afraid. From what little I know about shipments from the US by anyone the brokerage, etc will be a little hit and miss. Sometimes you could get charged and sometimes not. All I DO know is if UPS is used anything above $20 WILL be charged...

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78436 is a reply to message #78420 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 22:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, terenceyan, but additionally - and most importantly - MOST times UPS will NOT charge brokerage either, thus having nothing to pay at the door.

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78439 is a reply to message #78436 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 23:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Right, let's clear up some misconceptions and questions about the UPS brokerage fees. Bear in mind that this is from a purely Canadian point of view.

1) It is NOT import duty or tax. It is NOT levied by the government. It is a fee that UPS charges.

2) The reason they charge this fee is: paperwork. When a parcel's total value is over $20, it is subject to import taxes. In the case that your package incurs import taxes, UPS acts on your behalf - as a 'broker' - signing the papers and paying the taxes. For this 'service', they charge you not only the taxes they paid, but a brokerage fee on top of it.

3) For shipments by air, the brokerage fee is always $10.

4) For shipments by ground, the brokerage appears to always be $6 - however, there is also a $7 'entry prep fee' that is applied to ground that is not applied to air.

5) GST is also applied to the brokerage fee.

6) UPS will ALWAYS CHARGE brokerage if your package is over $20. Always.

I've attached two typical brokerage invoices from my brokerage account with UPS - one air, one ground.

index.php?t=getfile&id=44581&private=0

So, how does that differ with USPS? Firstly, there is no brokerage fee. You pay any applicable taxes or duties upon receipt of the package, plus a small handling fee that varies with the size and weight. This happens occasionally. Canada Post will not ALWAYS charge import taxes - they do so randomly.

• Attachment: forms.jpg
    (Size: 1.04MB, Downloaded 223 time(s))

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78440 is a reply to message #55350 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 23:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I agree with everything you said there, except on point number 4. My brokerage forms from UPS are different to yours. They don't indicate how shipped. I had to call UPS just to find out where the extra charges were coming from and THAT is when I was told the packages were now being shipped by Ground. The rep explained the Brokerage fees are MUCH greater on Ground parcels - more than you stated. The only way I can tell how it was shipped is to check the Point of Entry - if it's the airport that gives me a big clue!

One of my recent forms shows this: Value for Duty $20.56 - Brokerage Fee $17.25 !! PLUS taxes, etc bringing the total COD charges to $22.16 for a product that cost $20.56!!

EDIT: Which only goes to show that - as usual when dealing with UPS - NO CHARGES seem to be applied exactly the same anywhere!

[Updated on: Thu, 07 November 2013 23:36 UTC]

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78441 is a reply to message #78440 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 23:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Do you have a brokerage account? The forms I uploaded are the format you get when you do so. I got one so I wouldn't have to pay at the door - I'm invoiced every two weeks I believe.

It could be that phone support just didn't distinguish between the 'Bond Fee' and 'Entry Prep Fee', just choosing to call it all 'Brokerage'. $17.25 on a $20.56 package is more or less in line with the numbers I laid out.

Not that it's at all reasonable !@#$@APPLSAUCE@#%&^*^$PIGS
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78442 is a reply to message #78440 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 23:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar alyvalli  is currently offline alyvalli
Go to my shop
I work here
I'm sure folks will chime in with more details on the blog, but we just went live with a far better shipping solution to Canada using USPS that will avoid brokerage fees: http://www.shapeways.com/support/shipping

I work here
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78443 is a reply to message #78442 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 23:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
You know that music from Indiana Jones as they open the Ark of the Covenant? That's playing in my head as I'm clicking that link.
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78444 is a reply to message #55350 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 23:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Talk about timing!

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78445 is a reply to message #78444 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 23:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
That's awesome! Thank you Shapeways Very Happy
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78446 is a reply to message #78444 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 23:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sweet merciful lord, we thank you for this bounty....

Can't remember that last time I've been happier with Shapeways Very Happy
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78448 is a reply to message #78446 ] Thu, 07 November 2013 23:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar alyvalli  is currently offline alyvalli
Go to my shop
I work here
Oh wow. Thank you for bearing with us.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 November 2013 23:56 UTC]

I work here
Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78449 is a reply to message #55350 ] Fri, 08 November 2013 00:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, great news!

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78453 is a reply to message #55350 ] Fri, 08 November 2013 01:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
WELL ALY beat me to it, but he's actually Canadian so that's ok. Wink

Here's some more details....on no more UPS to Canada!

That's right, you made it loud and clear that UPS and the resultant brokerage fees were a huge problem so now we're shipping to Canada exclusively through the United States Postal Service.

What does this mean for you? It means that you'll now be paying an upfront fee of $11.50 but that you won't be paying those expensive and unpredictable brokerage fees that many of you have been hit with in the past. Keep in mind that although the upfront price of USPS is a little bit higher than UPS, you'll be saving $30+ in brokerage fees. We know that many of you have been asking for this for a while and hope it makes your Shapeways experience ten times better!

We're working hard to make sure that Canadian Shapies have the best shipping options in time for the holidays. So keep on 3D Printing and let us know what else we can do to make your lives easier!

- Natalia

I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO TELL YOU THIS FOR DAYS NOW!! Do you know how hard it was to keep this secret?! But we had to implement a WHOLE new shipping provider into our system so that took some time as you can imagine. Now it's here YAY!!

[Updated on: Fri, 08 November 2013 01:52 UTC]

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78454 is a reply to message #78453 ] Fri, 08 November 2013 01:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar takadonet  is currently offline takadonet
Go to my shop
Thank you so much Natalia!

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78456 is a reply to message #55350 ] Fri, 08 November 2013 01:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Oh I didn't do this - besides convey how important it was - all the hard work was a true team effort!

YAY!

[Updated on: Fri, 08 November 2013 03:19 UTC]

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78457 is a reply to message #55350 ] Fri, 08 November 2013 02:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
First order placed!

Re: It's Time to Stop Using UPS [message #78459 is a reply to message #55350 ] Fri, 08 November 2013 02:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Go to my shop
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pages (5): [ «    1  2  3  4  5    »] 

Previous Topic:Update the 3D Preview on a Model
Next Topic:Issues raised in Bug Reporting section should be acknowledged by Shapeways

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.