Home » Support » 3D Design » Weird Internal Surfaces when Joining Faces in Rhino
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Weird Internal Surfaces when Joining Faces in Rhino [message #55325] Sun, 14 October 2012 07:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar eNonsense  is currently offline eNonsense
Go to my shop
Hey all.

I've got a bit of a problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm using Rhino to make a model to print and am having some issues finishing it up. I was doing a boolean difference on the final solid to cut into the bottom of my piece as a final step and noticed that after the boolean runs I've got some weird internal surfaces stretching through the cut out space that shouldn't be there and are not even being cut by the boolean. I'm unable to get rid of them. I've exploded everything and used redraw on the ring that goes around the whole bottom of my model (which the bad surfaces seem to be a part of) which actually does remove them, but as soon as I try to re-join all of the faces it puts the bad surfaces back in, sometimes not even in the same places they were before. Here is what I'm talking about.

http://i.imgur.com/OM8YR.png

The bottom of this object used to be capped, but I've removed that surface to address this issue.

Please let me know what I can do to fix this. Here is the Rhino 3dm file.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2561448/Random%20Mag%20Cubes.3dm

Thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Sun, 14 October 2012 07:14 UTC]

Re: Weird Internal Surfaces when Joining Faces in Rhino [message #55776 is a reply to message #55325 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 19:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Hi, I suggest you, extract the bottom surface, reverse hide the rest, split the surface by iso curves at points close to where the shards start and finish. Duplicate edges and rebuild the surface with rails etc?

Does this make sense?

Regards
Vijay

Portfolio: Dot San
Flickr: Dot San on Flickr
Rate:Fixed rate,no two jobs are the same,email to discuss
Shapeways Interview
Facebook
twitter

We like challenges, so don't be shy in coming forward with any questions. Please feel free to contact my customers below for a reference.

www.dotsan.com
Re: Weird Internal Surfaces when Joining Faces in Rhino [message #55876 is a reply to message #55325 ] Wed, 24 October 2012 20:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Have you tried to select those individual mesh faces and delete them then close mesh if needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: Weird Internal Surfaces when Joining Faces in Rhino [message #55922 is a reply to message #55876 ] Thu, 25 October 2012 15:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar eNonsense  is currently offline eNonsense
Go to my shop
VirtualV wrote on Mon, 22 October 2012 19:16

Hi, I suggest you, extract the bottom surface, reverse hide the rest, split the surface by iso curves at points close to where the shards start and finish. Duplicate edges and rebuild the surface with rails etc?

Does this make sense?

Regards
Vijay

I won't have a chance to try this for a few days, but I'll let you know. It's also given me another idea if this exact thing doesn't work.

SG Designs wrote on Wed, 24 October 2012 20:08

Have you tried to select those individual mesh faces and delete them then close mesh if needed.

That's the thing. I cannot select those faces at all. They don't have edges to select either.
Re: Weird Internal Surfaces when Joining Faces in Rhino [message #55930 is a reply to message #55922 ] Thu, 25 October 2012 17:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
What errors does it give you when you do "checkmesh"? If you want, I can check it out, see if I can fix it. So far Ive never been unable to manualy fix a mesh in rhino yet.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 October 2012 17:40 UTC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver

Previous Topic:Materials sample kits
Next Topic:Model not facing front in shapeways image preview

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.