Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » It arrived! » Silver Cross Pendant
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Silver Cross Pendant [message #55047] Mon, 08 October 2012 21:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Hi all.. I want to share my new pendant I received the other day. I got it in the standard silver with no gloss and not patina, took a picture of it before I added the patina and another picture after I added patina to it. Anyone else adding patina to their silver???? Below are some before and after pictures.

Final result

index.php?t=getfile&id=21415&private=0

Before - standard silver with no gloss and no patina

index.php?t=getfile&id=21418&private=0

After - Standard silver with patina and lightly polished

index.php?t=getfile&id=21416&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 08 October 2012 21:48 UTC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55145 is a reply to message #55047 ] Wed, 10 October 2012 14:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bdeaver  is currently offline bdeaver
Go to my shop
Gorgeous! Nice detail. The patina adds a lot. What do you use to get the patina?

bobd
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55171 is a reply to message #55145 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 04:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I use the Liver of Sulphur XL GEL, they come in little bottles. Its easier to do then most people think. Im always looking for new ways to finish silver, you wont believe the crazy techniques that are out there and real. Ive been asked how I do this, im probably going to make some kind of step by step tutorial on this. I think adding patina to a piece brings out the detail.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2012 04:00 UTC]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55216 is a reply to message #55171 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 19:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AM3D  is currently offline AM3D
Go to my shop
That's very nice! I would also appreciate a tutorial from you on how you patina and polish. Really like your other designs too. Smile
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55237 is a reply to message #55216 ] Fri, 12 October 2012 02:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ill be getting another cross shortly, Ive never done a video tutorial but Ill give it a shot, most likely with lots of editing. LOL... I'll do a step by step walkthrough on the entire process, post links to where you can buy affordable materials needed and most are easily accessible. Its a lot easier to do then I thought.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 October 2012 02:36 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55253 is a reply to message #55237 ] Fri, 12 October 2012 13:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AM3D  is currently offline AM3D
Go to my shop
That would be real nice. I'll look forward to it.
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55340 is a reply to message #55047 ] Sun, 14 October 2012 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ao2design  is currently offline ao2design
Go to my shop
Great model, post processing, and photography. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55415 is a reply to message #55340 ] Tue, 16 October 2012 04:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ray716  is currently offline Ray716
Go to my shop
While i'm not big on crosses in and of them selves.. i'm really digging the detail for this design!!! Fantastic work. What program did you use? And what was your basic workflow process for building this particular model?

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55416 is a reply to message #55415 ] Tue, 16 October 2012 05:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, I use Zbrush 4r4, 3ds MAX 12 and Rhino 4 but mainly I use Zbrush 4r4. This cross was easier then youd think. The pattern and patina is what makes this pendant look nice. Its all in the pattern. I created a solid outline of the cross, masked the outer rim and added a tilable pattern inside the rim that I did on photoshop and with that pattern I was able to use it as an alpha/bass relief.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 October 2012 08:18 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55419 is a reply to message #55416 ] Tue, 16 October 2012 05:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Alpha/bass relief, excellent.. I've been meaning to figure out how to do that recently in Blender. THANKS! Again, it looks great!

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55706 is a reply to message #55419 ] Sat, 20 October 2012 14:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
If you need help making any patterns into alpha/bass relief just let me know, I have photoshop, I can help you out.

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55718 is a reply to message #55706 ] Sat, 20 October 2012 19:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
sweet thanks! That will be awesome. I've been doing some research on displacement maps for blender Very Happy

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55735 is a reply to message #55718 ] Sun, 21 October 2012 06:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I recommend you watch this. Its meant for zBrush but it gives you a general idea on what those displacement maps do.

http://vimeo.com/2273521

[Updated on: Sun, 21 October 2012 06:40 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55757 is a reply to message #55718 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 09:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Check your PM.

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55777 is a reply to message #55757 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 20:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Awesome, Thanks! The help is MUCH appreciated!

Ray

www.RayTomlinDesigns.com
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55821 is a reply to message #55047 ] Tue, 23 October 2012 21:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Syncopator  is currently offline Syncopator
Go to all my models
What are the dimensions of this piece? I'm looking to do something in silver and want to get an idea of what level of detail is possible. You can get the tech specs, but once you see an actual piece and know how big it is, a picture is worth a thousand tech specs....
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55825 is a reply to message #55821 ] Tue, 23 October 2012 23:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I try to push the level of detail to its limit on a lot of my designs. As long as you follow the design rules for silver, there shouldnt be any worries. I used to have the same concerns, but after getting my first silver piece, im confident in the accuracy silver offers.
The half spheres all over this cross are 0.8mm wide and the criss crossing lines are 0.5mm wide. In the picture, the spheres look smaller then the criss crossing lines, but thats only because the top round part of them are polished. You can go as small as 0.3mm and it will still show.
The loop that the chain goes through has small dimples surrounding my logo, I'll take a picture of it for you and update this post. I know most people don't look at the loop, but I know its there.
The bandana detail in my skull bead is 0.3mm-0.4mm and the ring has engravings as small as 0.4mm-0.5mm.
Check out my vampire skull ring. the gap between the front teeth are 0.5mm wide and the smallest tooth gap is 0.3mm wide and they are all crisp and clearly visible.
Engravings and embossing width should equal its height but if you plan on hand polishing your silver, a little more height and/or depth wont hurt and patina will make it look even better. I know I gave you more information then you asked for, but this would have helped me a lot when I first started.

This pendant is 2.5 inches tall, 1.5 inches wide and 1/3 inch thick
My next project will be a bracelet and each link will be ornately engraved, i'm also designing a custom clasp also detailed all over.

syncopator, I seen your other post about checking your model. I commented on that post, let me know if you need any help.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 October 2012 23:39 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55836 is a reply to message #55825 ] Wed, 24 October 2012 02:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Sal, what was the poly count res on the model for such high detail using mapping?

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Silver Cross Pendant [message #55839 is a reply to message #55836 ] Wed, 24 October 2012 03:37 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop

This one has 978,262. Both sides are identical in detail. I can bring it down to half as much, but I don't want to affect the detail.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 October 2012 03:51 UTC]

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page

Previous Topic:Z Scale Stagecoach
Next Topic:Dog bone dog tag