Home » Support » 3D Design » WIP: Gears
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
WIP: Gears [message #162] Fri, 14 March 2008 09:36 UTC Go to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Just experimenting a bit with some mechanical stuff here. I want to create a cube with gears on all sides that actually work! I think that with four gears (like in the screenshot), it'll work but I'm still figuring out what to add to the top and bottom (adding the same gears to the top and bottom would lock up the device, I think?)

What do you think?

Bart

index.php?t=getfile&id=9&private=0

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: WIP: Gears [message #167 is a reply to message #162 ] Mon, 17 March 2008 14:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Rob Maris  is currently offline Rob Maris
Go to all my models
Hi Bart,

Nice Gadget...!!! I have been trying to figure out your device and I think that by adding a similar gear to the top and/or bottom of the cube the device will stop working. Not if you want all gear to keep rotating that is. Or am I mistaking here...?

Grtz,
Rob.
Re: WIP: Gears [message #168 is a reply to message #167 ] Mon, 17 March 2008 15:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Rob,

yeah, that would lock everything up... I *think* that I could solve it by adding not one, but four smaller gears at the top and bottom. That might give a new problem: making the teeth of the gears fit together. I'll keep tinkering with this and turn it into an extremely useless yes complicated little machine Razz

Bart

Re: WIP: Gears [message #169 is a reply to message #168 ] Mon, 17 March 2008 21:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi Bart,

ahum complicated and useless. I like it? Confused

How did you compute those gears? Did you use templates?

regards,
Peter
Re: WIP: Gears [message #170 is a reply to message #169 ] Wed, 19 March 2008 07:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I used a Python script for Blender to calculate the gears. It's quite old and doesn't work very well anymore so I only got the shape of one gear tooth(?). With a bit of manual spinning and filling up some holes I got these gears.

You can find that script here:

http://www.selleri.org/Blender/scripts/text.html

Cheers,

Bart

Re: WIP: Gears [message #206 is a reply to message #170 ] Wed, 23 April 2008 22:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rubicon  is currently offline rubicon
Go to all my models
Hi Bart,

2 hints

1. place the gears separately from the cube, aligned flat.
So, the layers of material form equal rims across all teeth. If your gears are placed vertical the modeled shape of the theeth at the 'äquator' are rougher than that at the poles.

2. on top of the cube you can place a planet-gear:
o
oOo
o

fine detail, laying flat, fun to watch.
(in the post, the scheme for the planet gear skipped the blanks but you know what i mean: 1 big Sun-wheel in the midlle and the 4 planet wheels around)

PS: heard anything from stefano? He left without a trace...

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2008 22:32 UTC]

Re: WIP: Gears [message #211 is a reply to message #162 ] Fri, 25 April 2008 12:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar macouno  is currently offline macouno
Go to my shop
Yeah not possible to add gears on top...

But perhaps you could add the same sort of thing as on the side of an old locomotive wheel... make something go up and down. Then you can do a piston as well!
Re: WIP: Gears [message #218 is a reply to message #162 ] Tue, 29 April 2008 10:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@rubicon: thanks for the hints. I think you're right about aligning the gears to get comparable printing quality, although with our new 'Detail' materials this is not much of an issue anymore (see the blog post I wrote today).

Part of the experiment was to print out a fully working mechanical design in one pass though, so I'd rather try and get it all printed at once. It should be possible - we have some working examples of that here, but my engineering skills are woefully inadequate Wink

Stefano became a father about a year, year and a half ago. I guess he's still buried in diapers!

@macouno: oohh, that would add some steam-punk-insanity to the thing yes! Let's see if we can make that work...

Bart

Re: WIP: Gears [message #503 is a reply to message #218 ] Sat, 02 August 2008 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar svenpb  is currently offline svenpb
Go to all my models
You should use bevel gears for that. The current tooth profile is no good for 90 degrees angles. It will work, but it is not mechanically sound.

edit: I mean miter gears

[Updated on: Sat, 02 August 2008 22:00 UTC]

Re: WIP: Gears [message #554 is a reply to message #503 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 07:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ah, I'd never have figured that out on my own. I'll give those a try, thanks!

Bart

Re: WIP: Gears [message #1268 is a reply to message #554 ] Tue, 09 September 2008 23:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
On the bottom, or on the top ... you could add one gear, with a crank, that drives one of the side gears. Something like this:

(note: this is just a mock up I put together .. i realize that the teeth of the cogs are not even)

http://www.whyst.com/screens/cog-screen01a.jpg

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: WIP: Gears [message #1277 is a reply to message #1268 ] Wed, 10 September 2008 12:50 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey Whystler,

that's a cool idea! I think I'll have to revisit my old gearbox one of these days and give it a try Wink

Cheers,

Bart

Previous Topic:are x-rated designs okay?
Next Topic:Utah teapot

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.