Home » Support » 3D Design » Minimum wall thickness vs cylinder diameter
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Minimum wall thickness vs cylinder diameter [message #5181] Thu, 09 July 2009 21:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
I made a WSF part which is five 9mm diameter spheres joined by cylinders of diameter 2mm. While flexing this piece slightly last night, it broke fairly easily at one of the connections. It seems to me there is a difference between a wall or surface of thickness 2mm and two large volumes which are connected by a cylinder 2mm in diameter. The latter is far weaker.

Anyway, I would recommend a minimum 3mm diameter for cylinders connecting two larger volume pieces. I have not had this size connection break on me.

What is the diameter of the wires used to make springs in the 3D parts database? Do these break when flexed?

[Updated on: Thu, 09 July 2009 22:42 UTC]

Re: Minimum wall thickness vs cylinder diameter [message #5184 is a reply to message #5181 ] Fri, 10 July 2009 07:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
The springs in the 3D parts database are 3mm. You can download them here: http://www.shapeways.com/themes/3dparts

Shape influences the strength of your models a lot. The ball I used for this video was 1mm thick but incredibly strong because of the structure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEUlmsLe12Y

If a cylindrical shape is "held fast", hollow or acts as a supporting structure it could break very easily.

We have these testing things though that we give to people and these are 1mm but solid and they bend in every which way without breaking.
Re: Minimum wall thickness vs cylinder diameter [message #5186 is a reply to message #5181 ] Fri, 10 July 2009 13:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
I agree 100%. My pieces connected by a 2mm cylinder can lever against one another and easily break.

Cool video! Is the model for that ball downloadable? I didn't see it in the 3D parts database.

Previous Topic:Yet another manifold issue
Next Topic:Hair pulling - FIXED

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.