cheaper and smaller

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 223218_deleted, Oct 4, 2012.

1. hi i would like to see about a model of mine being printed for less than £10 at a smaller scale but when i try and set it up to print at smaller scale detail including the undercarriage disappears, any advice would be welcome. thanks. metal would be nice if possible, the model was designed by me for 3d animation so it may still contain internal details which would not be needed in the print.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Missing parts usually mean inverted normals and/or overlapping faces. It's hard to troubleshoot without the file though.

3. no if i set it up for inches rather than millimetres the details appear, i don't think there is a normals problem.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Hmm, That's odd. Try emailing it to service, they should be able to figure it out.

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    It sounds like the latest upload procedures just discard small things.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  6. Dragoman
    Dragoman Member
    That is indeed the case. Very small pieces are filtered out by the uploading software. Somewhere in the Forums there is a discussion of this. Somebody even did a set of tests to find out when pieces disappear.

You might try joining the pieces with a Boolean AND operation to make them into bigger pieces. But also be aware of minimum thickness rules for your material.

Greetings
    Dragoman