Home » Support » 3D Printing » Why is something so small, so expensive?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why is something so small, so expensive? [message #54843] Thu, 04 October 2012 08:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar paulelderdesign  is currently offline paulelderdesign
Go to my shop
Hi guys. I recently uploaded my Dredd badge, not to big 8cm by 10cm and I was shocked to get this price back. Shocked
Dredd Badge

Any idea why the metal version
is over €200 ?

I really want to sell these for under €25. Would hollowing them reduce the price?

Paul
Re: Why is something so small, so expensive? [message #55232 is a reply to message #54843 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 21:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar paulelderdesign  is currently offline paulelderdesign
Go to my shop
Over 100+ views

Anyone?

I'm close to cancelling the model. It's bad enough you don't support £'s UKP which is playing hell
with my taxes but now I don't get any markup on a simple model. I missed the convention season due due to no reply from here Confused

Off to find another 3D Printers that actually care about their customers
Re: Why is something so small, so expensive? [message #55233 is a reply to message #55232 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 23:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
All prints except ceramics are based off volume. Steel is not only an expensive material but also an expensive process. More than likely you'll find our competitors to be at least as expensive. You could always print in wsf or sandstone (our cheaper materials) and then paint or plate it with metal.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Why is something so small, so expensive? [message #55242 is a reply to message #55233 ] Fri, 12 October 2012 07:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
You might also want to make it thinner for other reasons - unless I am completely
mistaken, your badge in steel would weigh in at about 270 grams. Pretty heavy for
a badge, unless your fellow riflemen like to spend their whole day crouched.

Previous Topic:"Your model was too small for any of our 3D Printers" -- any way to get more debugging inf
Next Topic:How do you make the chains/opener for your jewelry? Is it standardized?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.