Home » Community » General Discussion » Transparent Resin material anytime soon?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Transparent Resin material anytime soon? [message #54706] Mon, 01 October 2012 18:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I would love to see Shapeways offer this material that one of your competitors has introduced... Anytime soon?

index.php?t=getfile&id=21021&private=0

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Transparent Resin material anytime soon? [message #54714 is a reply to message #54706 ] Mon, 01 October 2012 22:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
If you check the page that duck was taken from you will see that it was sanded and then varnished to get the transparency. You should be able to get a similar result with FUD. or transparent resin.

Bill Bedford
Re: Transparent Resin material anytime soon? [message #54715 is a reply to message #54714 ] Mon, 01 October 2012 23:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I *highly* doubt you could get FUD to look like that. And transparent resin? Well, yes, that's what it's called. And since they do all the work it saves the customer having to do it.

"When you choose a technical finish for your transparent resin model, the support material (which is needed during the printing process) is first removed. Then your model is hardened under UV light and varnish is applied on all surfaces. This varnish is applied to your model to protect it from dust and discoloration. It makes a part transparent."

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Transparent Resin material anytime soon? [message #54731 is a reply to message #54715 ] Tue, 02 October 2012 08:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Mon, 01 October 2012 23:13

I *highly* doubt you could get FUD to look like that.

You can make FUD transparent by sanding the surface and varnishing it. You can test this for yourself by simply put the piece into water. Any clear liquid will 'fill in' the scratches on the surface so the piece will appear almost transparent

Quote:

And transparent resin? Well, yes, that's what it's called. And since they do all the work it saves the customer having to do it.

Shapeways don't do any of the post processing that other suppliers are will ing to do for a price.

Bill Bedford

Previous Topic:Is Makerbot replicator 2 comparable to WSF quality?
Next Topic:Shapeways Labs & Hacks: Better Tools for Your Shop

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.