Home » Support » 3D Applications » Kickstarter Friendly CAD Licensing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Kickstarter Friendly CAD Licensing [message #54672] Sun, 30 September 2012 20:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar amcintosh  is currently offline amcintosh
Go to my shop
I want to submit a project to KickStarter and use Shapeways to allow the backers to print a miniature for their evaluation purposes. This is expected to be something along the lines of http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1378252804/251415984?tok en=a8f33841

I want to do photorealistic renderings. Shadows and reflections are a very nice touch. I want a manufacturer to be able to make the parts from the drawing files.

I want to be able to put these renderings and files online before I have made or received any payment.

I subscribe to the general idea that the project is not commercial before I receive any customer payments. I want to identify software that could be licensed under the terms of "Pay & Convert to Commercial License after KickStarter Funds"

I do have an educational license of a well known product, but the licensing approval is taking a bit of time, and I want to have Plan 2 handy. I would appr

I myself am not particularly sensitive to the cost of the license, as it will be paid out of KickStarter, but if other things are equal, I would go with a product that the community seems to desire.

Re: Kickstarter Friendly CAD Licensing [message #54678 is a reply to message #54672 ] Sun, 30 September 2012 20:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Good luck on your project.
Did you realise that your models are currently available to be downloaded free?
If you want a free cad program try http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-cad/

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Kickstarter Friendly CAD Licensing [message #54680 is a reply to message #54678 ] Sun, 30 September 2012 21:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I do realize they are downloadable for free, but thanks for calling that out. I'm being stringent about "no income before KickStarter funds."
I hoped to be able to let people print them at 0 markup, but that seems to be an unresolved licensing issue with Autodesk Inventor, so I disabled printing.

Thanks for the link, I'm looking over that sight now.
Re: Kickstarter Friendly CAD Licensing [message #54687 is a reply to message #54680 ] Sun, 30 September 2012 23:22 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
My project did load correctly from a .igs file and also a .step file.

I have followed the links contained in FreeCAD to http://hof.povray.org/ to see what the Point of View renderer is capable of. Oh, my...I'm in love.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 September 2012 23:51 UTC]

Previous Topic:Assembly STL Files in SolidWorks 2010
Next Topic:Need help with SketchUp obj to stl

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.