Home » Support » 3D Printing » Stainless steel nickel finish
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Stainless steel nickel finish [message #54646] Sat, 29 September 2012 21:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar flashgordondesigns  is currently offline flashgordondesigns
Go to my shop
My customers constantly are requesting a finish that looks more like stainless steel. What is the timeline for offering a nickel plated option. This would be an ideal "standard" finish for stainless steel.

Flash Gordon Designs
www.flashgordondesigns.com
Re: Stainless steel nickel finish [message #55627 is a reply to message #54646 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 23:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Syncopator  is currently offline Syncopator
Go to all my models
This brings up an interesting point-- is it possible to have a stainless model plated in chrome or nickel at a local auto plating shop? I've seen some nice nickel jobs on intake manifolds that would look great over a 3D printed model, but I don't know if the resultant piece can be subjected to the process given that the stainless isn't just cast but is formed with brass & whatnot...
Re: Stainless steel nickel finish [message #55652 is a reply to message #54646 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Not sure about finishes, but new metals are on the chopping block.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Stainless steel nickel finish [message #55708 is a reply to message #55627 ] Sat, 20 October 2012 15:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
The quick answer to after market, chrome or nickel plating on the SW SS media is yes , this can be done. expect that the plater might need to tweak the process a bit, but it will work. The "electroless" plating process works best on irregular or convoluted surfaces as standard electro plating process will have trouble getting into tight crevices or parts with a lot of internal cavities and surfaces, like some of Bathsheba's math models.
Chrome plate typically begins with a pure copper layer, followed by the chrome. I'd suggest you read up on the technical aspects of plating processes before finding an outside shop to do this work.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Plugging pieces together - HELP!
Next Topic:Material Weight

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.