Home » Support » 3D Design » Can I use AutoCAD?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Can I use AutoCAD? [message #54503] Wed, 26 September 2012 11:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar bklyn  is currently offline bklyn
Go to all my models
Hi,
Can I use AutoCAD to create a design file for use here on Shapeways? If yes, I'm assuming it'd have to be converted into a format other than AutoCAD's file format (dwg), so what would that be?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Brian
Re: Can I use AutoCAD? [message #54505 is a reply to message #54503 ] Wed, 26 September 2012 13:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Using AutoCAD, you should be able to export STL or Collada, both acceptable file formats for uploading to Shapeways.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Can I use AutoCAD? [message #54506 is a reply to message #54505 ] Wed, 26 September 2012 13:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks Michael! But I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually had success with an AutoCAD file. I don't want to embark down a road that leads to a dead end.

FYI: An AutoCAD file can be saved as .dxf, or exported as .dwf, .dxx, .eps, .sat, .stl, and .wmf.
Re: Can I use AutoCAD? [message #54517 is a reply to message #54506 ] Wed, 26 September 2012 17:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Most of my models including my Chess Set were designed in AutoCad. You just have to make sure everything is a solid by performing 'boolean' commands. Then just export as an stl file.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Can I use AutoCAD? [message #54556 is a reply to message #54517 ] Thu, 27 September 2012 16:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks Jacant!
Re: Can I use AutoCAD? [message #54560 is a reply to message #54556 ] Thu, 27 September 2012 18:23 UTC Go to previous message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
There's a few things you should know before you export. It will give you a smoother model instead of it being faceted. Just type these on the command line.
facetres 10
isolines 0
dispsilh 1

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Previous Topic:Animated Colorful Beads
Next Topic:ss moving parts tolerances?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.