Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Community » It arrived! » A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞ [message #54223] Tue, 18 September 2012 16:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar joabaldwin  is currently offline joabaldwin
Go to my shop
My new 3d-printed model, a mobius strip of Level 1 of Super Mario Bros., from beginning to end (end being the beginning, in an endless loop for poor Mario).

The loop represents every block, turtle, cloud, and power-up in the level (except for when you go underground in the pipes, that's outside of regular space-time).

I used an image of the whole map and used it as a texture for a plane inside Maya. Then I twisted the plane 180 degrees on the long axis, and bent it around its vertical axis by a factor of 3.1416, that made it into a mobius strip. I color-separated the image in Photoshop and made the sky black, the bricks white, and the in-between shapes in shades of gray, and used that to displace the plane geometry. It was a very heavy file because of this, 100Mb for a simple loop, since there are millions of displaced polygons. Then I uploaded my file to Shapeways, and they 3d-printed it in full-color, with a crazy high resolution.

What do you guys think?

index.php?t=getfile&id=20659&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=20663&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=20662&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=20661&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=20660&private=0

• Attachment: mobius_main.jpg
    (Size: 180.85KB, Downloaded 458 time(s))

• Attachment: mobius_02.jpg
    (Size: 168.39KB, Downloaded 418 time(s))

• Attachment: mobius_03.jpg
    (Size: 178.32KB, Downloaded 427 time(s))

• Attachment: mobius_04.jpg
    (Size: 163.39KB, Downloaded 425 time(s))

• Attachment: mobius_05.jpg
    (Size: 161.81KB, Downloaded 434 time(s))

Re: A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞ [message #54224 is a reply to message #54223 ] Tue, 18 September 2012 16:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
Now that is awesome. Well done!

How did the FCS material turn out? Are you pleased with the color results?
Re: A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞ [message #54226 is a reply to message #54224 ] Tue, 18 September 2012 16:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The material is great, the resolution incredible, but the color is not as saturated as I would've liked. The sky color especially, is a bit too warm compared to my file.
Re: A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞ [message #54227 is a reply to message #54223 ] Tue, 18 September 2012 16:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
My birthday is in 2 months if anyone is wondering what to get me! I LOVE this!

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞ [message #54229 is a reply to message #54223 ] Tue, 18 September 2012 18:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Woo!

LOVE IT! Very clever

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞ [message #54246 is a reply to message #54223 ] Wed, 19 September 2012 12:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cedricms  is currently offline cedricms
Go to all my models
That is simply awesome, both in concept and realisation!

Thanks by the way for the tutorial, it made for an interesting read Smile.

http://www.cedric.maria-sube.com
Re: A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞ [message #54257 is a reply to message #54223 ] Wed, 19 September 2012 19:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Crissy  is currently offline Crissy
Go to all my models
One Word: RAD!
Re: A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞ [message #54376 is a reply to message #54223 ] Sat, 22 September 2012 07:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pdb  is currently offline pdb
Go to all my models
Great stuff!

boop
Re: A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞ [message #55579 is a reply to message #54223 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 15:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BHuey  is currently offline BHuey
Go to all my models
Looks great!

How large is each individual block and how far out do they stick from the background? I'm trying to figure out how much non-text detail will show up with FCS.

Cheers.
Re: A möbius strip of Super Mario Bros. Level 1 ... ∞ [message #55580 is a reply to message #55579 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 15:59 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
BHuey: Each block is between 2 and 3/12 mm in length/height (depends if it's near the top or bottom, due to the distortion). The depth is a bit over 1mm for the blocks and 1/2mm for the pipes, clouds, and other background details.

Previous Topic:the LOVE cube
Next Topic:YOU&ME customer rings in silver

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.