Home » Community » It arrived! » Winged Tear (Ring)
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Winged Tear (Ring) [message #54196] Tue, 18 September 2012 02:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
I came up with the idea for this ring about 6 months ago. It is now late for my sister's birthday, but that's ok. I think she will still like the ring, since her favorite color is purple. Also, she is inclined to like anything I make for her. Siblings are like that. Very Happy

Here is the ring before polishing and setting of the amethyst:
index.php?t=getfile&id=20651&private=0

Here is the ring after polishing and setting:
index.php?t=getfile&id=20652&private=0

Overall, I am pleased with the silver printing. Polishing does seem pretty important, though. The silver glossy didn't have the mirror shine that the final product has. I may have to look into hand polishing to save money next time. Very Happy

EDIT: I did actually order silver glossy (how could I forget?)

[Updated on: Tue, 18 September 2012 02:57 UTC]

Re: Winged Tear (Ring) [message #54216 is a reply to message #54196 ] Tue, 18 September 2012 13:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Very nice! I also find it more cost effective, if you want a good polish, to polish yourself.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Winged Tear (Ring) [message #54218 is a reply to message #54216 ] Tue, 18 September 2012 14:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
What sort of tools are necessary to do the polish yourself? I attempted lapidary at one point, and it was terribly boring and slow. I'd like to think I have a reasonable amount of patience, but I guess that doesn't extend to cabbing by hand.
Re: Winged Tear (Ring) [message #54219 is a reply to message #54196 ] Tue, 18 September 2012 14:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I used a dremel, with the polish wheel and polish material it came with. Then I used a cloth to get it to a real good shine. It took me a while, but I feel now I could do it in an hour or so.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Winged Tear (Ring) [message #54222 is a reply to message #54196 ] Tue, 18 September 2012 16:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar cedricms  is currently offline cedricms
Go to all my models
That's a very sweet ring!

http://www.cedric.maria-sube.com
Re: Winged Tear (Ring) [message #55039 is a reply to message #54218 ] Mon, 08 October 2012 17:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
TurtlesAreCool wrote on Tue, 18 September 2012 14:10

What sort of tools are necessary to do the polish yourself? I attempted lapidary at one point, and it was terribly boring and slow. I'd like to think I have a reasonable amount of patience, but I guess that doesn't extend to cabbing by hand.

I use a rock tumbler... with stainless steel shot, water and a drop of detergent... Brings up a wonderful shine.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Winged Tear (Ring) [message #55046 is a reply to message #55039 ] Mon, 08 October 2012 21:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Yeah, I hear a rock tumbler is one of the better tumblers because it polishes the entire piece evenly. Have you gotten the same results with your rock tumbler? What kind/brand do you have? You know anything about the vibratory tumblers? I know those are more expensive but as fas as quality compared to the rock tumblers....?

For polishing, right now im using a dremel tool, with some polishing wheels and when the red rouge polishing compound ran out I purchased a bar of DIALUX NOIR - BLACK LABEL for my final polish. Its a black rouge and very pleased with the results.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: Winged Tear (Ring) [message #55057 is a reply to message #54196 ] Tue, 09 October 2012 01:29 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Oh, yes, the rock tumbler does a fantastic job. I got a used Lortone from a local rockhead. Some advice: Buy true stainless steel shot in mixed shapes (I got mine from Rio Grande) - the stuff that doesn't rust. It really couldn't be easier to use; just turn it on and let it run anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours depending on the piece and what needs to be done (I also make fine silver jewellery).

I've read about vibratory tumblers and simply figure their cost can't be justified for my own limited use.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:creepy crawlies
Next Topic:Polymer clay inset

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.