Home » Community » It arrived! » Dragonfly "Not So" Kinetic Statue
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Dragonfly "Not So" Kinetic Statue [message #54097] Sat, 15 September 2012 21:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar rithmikansur  is currently offline rithmikansur
Go to my shop
Well, the prototype arrived. Aaaaannnd, it doesn't work Rolling Eyes
Not shapeways fault, it was just poor design on my part.
BUT, that's the purpose of prototyping right?

It looks good though, and i'm impressed with the WSF material in general.
for what feels like it's no heavier than if it were made out of paper, it's quite strong.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ScN2FL1y1o4/UFMGyVyjoGI/AAAAAAAAAMo/BGOdB9w6G6A/s1600/photo+1.JPG

full write up on my blog. I don't know if linking to my blog breaks any rules here.
But, my daughter just woke up, and it seemed easier to post the link than copy and paste and relink every image with my 7mo. old daughter sitting on my lap trying to smash the keyboard Laughing
write up here...

[Updated on: Sat, 15 September 2012 21:21 UTC]

Blogging about shapeways, inventor, and anything else that crosses my mind
rithforms.blogspot.com
Re: Dragonfly "Not So" Kinetic Statue [message #54194 is a reply to message #54097 ] Tue, 18 September 2012 02:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
Aww, too bad it didn't work. I saw the WIP and was interested in how it would turn out. What went wrong?
Re: Dragonfly "Not So" Kinetic Statue [message #54252 is a reply to message #54194 ] Wed, 19 September 2012 16:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rithmikansur  is currently offline rithmikansur
Go to my shop
In general there was too much "slop" because of the clearances added between the moving parts.
Probably the most obvious of which was the smallest gear. The tooth size was approximately the same size as the clearance So, it would never engage.
The clearance on all the other parts was too much for how thin the links were. They just kinda flopped and wobbled around instead of having smooth linear motion. I plan to re-vamp the design it with wider links to prevent the slop. But, I'm not sure how to tackle the little gear yet.
AND... I got slammed with a project at work so I haven't had much time since I received the printed model. But, i haven't given up!

Blogging about shapeways, inventor, and anything else that crosses my mind
rithforms.blogspot.com
Re: Dragonfly "Not So" Kinetic Statue [message #54253 is a reply to message #54097 ] Wed, 19 September 2012 16:55 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Maybe have that 2nd gear be a separate piece that snaps in so you don't have to worry about clearance?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:By far the best 3 prints so far
Next Topic:"eastwood" to your own chair! ;-)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.