Home »  » 3D Design » Hollow object more expensive?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hollow object more expensive? [message #5079] Tue, 30 June 2009 07:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar wjhulzebosch  is currently offline wjhulzebosch
Go to my shop
Ok,

I created a structure that, if you look at it from a specific position, looks like an impossible triangle. I uploaded V1.1, and it would cost me around $45,-. Quite expensive for a first try, so i hollowed it out. Uploaded it again, and now it's over $70,-. What could cause this? Is it possible that in the hollowed out model, they automatically added supports or something, that make the volume grow?

See att. v1.1 is the normal one, v1.11 is hollowed out.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 June 2009 07:31 UTC]

Re: Hollow object more expensive? [message #5085 is a reply to message #5079 ] Tue, 30 June 2009 23:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ushanka  is currently offline Ushanka
Go to my shop
Can you show us some pictures that aren't in .dae format? Also, how big was your impossible triangle? I made one that is <$10 and maybe 1.5 inches tall.
Re: Hollow object more expensive? [message #5098 is a reply to message #5079 ] Thu, 02 July 2009 13:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
At your request: A screenshot of my model, one x-rayed, one "normal". Size of the model:
Height 6.7 cm
Width 9.2 cm
Depth 7.2 cm, but those sizes are the same for both models.

• Attachment: driehoek.jpg
    (Size: 50.48KB, Downloaded 181 time(s))

[Updated on: Thu, 02 July 2009 13:30 UTC]

Re: Hollow object more expensive? [message #5099 is a reply to message #5098 ] Thu, 02 July 2009 15:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
My guess would be that it is not possible to do an object hollow, that the printer will automatically fill it with build material. Which I believe is more expensive then the model material.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Hollow object more expensive? [message #5103 is a reply to message #5099 ] Thu, 02 July 2009 20:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
It is very possible to print hollow objects, in fact that is one of the unique attributes of 3D printing. Not only can you print hollow objects, but can have a separate manifold meshes printed inside a larger mesh. Shocked

I'll venture a guess that your issue is with Normals. If the normals are not oriented correctly, it can confuse the printer software as to what is inside and what is outside and make part of your model solid where you intended it to be hollow.

If you have Blender at your disposal, it can help.

Load your model into Blender. (Export it to a different format if you need to.)

First thing you want to do is remove all the duplicate Vertices which is common for imported meshes.
Go into edit mode by hitting {TAB} and then select all the vertices with the {A} key. (Note: The {A} Key is a Toggle That both Selects all and Deselects.) Once you have all Vertices selected, hit {W} and then choose [Remove Doubles] from the pop-up list.

A nifty trick in Blender is being able to actually see the orientation of the normals by making them visible. Hit the {F9} key and then on the far right hand side, look for the [Draw Normals] Button. Click that and your normals will be visible as light blue lines. (They may be too short to see them well. If so, just increase their size with the [NSize] slider just above the [Draw Normals] Button.

Try that and export it to a .STL file and see how much it costs.

Re: Hollow object more expensive? [message #5115 is a reply to message #5079 ] Fri, 03 July 2009 14:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok, i know what went wrong... I forgot to invert the inner body, so there where actualy 2 (nearly) the same objects that would be printed, instead of 1 hollow one Embarassed I uploaded v2.0 and it will cost me $ 3.53 : Laughing

Anyway, thanks everybody for the help!
Re: Hollow object more expensive? [message #5119 is a reply to message #5115 ] Fri, 03 July 2009 15:59 UTC Go to previous message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
LOL

Don't be embarrassed, I've done the exact same thing.
Laughing

Previous Topic:Simple manifold problem
Next Topic:Yet another manifold issue

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.