Does Shapeways support texture filtering?

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 9840_deleted, Sep 11, 2012.

1. 9840_deleted
    9840_deleted Member
    Hi all,

I'm attempting to make an app to launch along side a game I'm working on, and I was wondering if there was any way of specifying Shapeways to use Point or Nearest filtering for my textures for 3D models?

When I render my character in an engine, it renders perfectly when the filter mode is set, but the Shapeways 3D viewer always applies Bilinear or Trilinear filtering, and for a pixel art based game, this breaks the look. I've attempted to add TextureProperties to my x3d file, but it seems that Shapeways importer doesn't like them - it rejects those models, and accepts again when removing that TextureProperties tag.

Thanks in advance
    David Goemans

2. 9840_deleted
    9840_deleted Member
    I have found a work around. Upscaling my textures to 1024x1024 using a point/nearest upscale, and using those in the models simulates point, as it downscales ( which seems to default to nearest neighbour ). It'd be nice to know if there's an option or if that's coming?

3. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hi dgoemans,

I have asked our 3D developers to step in and answer this for you, I"m afraid I don't know either..

Bart

4. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    The issue is how the 3D printers that support color handle it. On the backend we change your X3D file to a VRML file which doesn't have support for TextureProperty nodes. So I'd basically have to pull a trick like you did to get the behavior.

Most of the large voxel based stuff I've been seeing has mostly used per-vertex-color to get accurate coloring. Would that have worked for you or do you see unique value in the texture approach?