Home » Support » 3D Design » First timer, trying to make my design hollow
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
First timer, trying to make my design hollow [message #53843] Mon, 10 September 2012 18:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar piranhamonkey  is currently offline piranhamonkey
Go to my shop
So I have attached a 3D version of an object but I want to make the thing hollow to cut down on the cost. Am I even doing this the right way?

• Attachment: stlogo6in.dae
    (Size: 320.28KB, Downloaded 33 time(s))

Re: First timer, trying to make my design hollow [message #53855 is a reply to message #53843 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 01:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
You have the basic idea of creating walls, good job. I only saw a few mistakes, not your fault, its sketchups. I changed the file to a stl in mesh lab, then imported it into nettfabb to repair. I also imported it into blender previously, for the fun of correcting errors beforehand. Its a good printable mesh
you made

[Updated on: Tue, 11 September 2012 02:08 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: First timer, trying to make my design hollow [message #53866 is a reply to message #53855 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 12:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for your help, did you mean to post something?

I have been trying to make the design hollow, so instead of being a solid block i as trying to make the walls about .7mm thin. That does not seem to be a possibility on Sketch up and i am still learning how to use blender.

Re: First timer, trying to make my design hollow [message #53896 is a reply to message #53866 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 20:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
I used your basic outline, cleaned it up a bit, extruded it and made it hollow. Gratis.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: First timer, trying to make my design hollow [message #53902 is a reply to message #53896 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 21:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thats awesome, yes just like that... but it still ended up being over $150 how thick are the walls? is there any way to make it less material besides making it smaller?
Re: First timer, trying to make my design hollow [message #53908 is a reply to message #53902 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 22:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions for the model 6x6x3 centimeters or mm's?
And what purpose is it for, a stamp?

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: First timer, trying to make my design hollow [message #53909 is a reply to message #53908 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 22:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It is in inches, 6"x6"x3" For my desk,
Re: First timer, trying to make my design hollow [message #53911 is a reply to message #53909 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 23:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
The walls are 0.7mm thick. The only way is to make some holes in it, or make it like a wireframe.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: First timer, trying to make my design hollow [message #53946 is a reply to message #53911 ] Wed, 12 September 2012 19:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Wow, thats crazy! Thanks for putting in all the effort. I guess it is just more material than i thought it would be. Oh well.

So then to cut down on the plastic, what if the outside wall was not solid, you said putting holes in it, what if the holes looked like Leaves, and i put in as many as possible around the outside edge to really empty out the space. the bottom platform could be completely blank, leaving the left, right and top to be filled with holes that look like leafs.

do you think that would cut down on enough material to make it affordable?

[Updated on: Wed, 12 September 2012 20:03 UTC]

Re: First timer, trying to make my design hollow [message #53962 is a reply to message #53946 ] Wed, 12 September 2012 23:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
It quite literaly depends upon what you call "affordable".
If you were to cut holes into the model, cutting 50% of the volume, you'd still be at $50 per print.
Is that still too much for you?

A different route to go might be to reduce the overall size.. if you go for 3x3x1.5, then you are actually dropping the volume by a factor of EIGHT!

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Help with sizing
Next Topic:Sizing help -Medical research purposes- New member-first timer

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.