First timer, trying to make my design hollow

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 213020_deleted, Sep 10, 2012.

1. So I have attached a 3D version of an object but I want to make the thing hollow to cut down on the cost. Am I even doing this the right way?

Attached Files:

2. You have the basic idea of creating walls, good job. I only saw a few mistakes, not your fault, its sketchups. I changed the file to a stl in mesh lab, then imported it into nettfabb to repair. I also imported it into blender previously, for the fun of correcting errors beforehand. Its a good printable mesh
    you made

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  3. Thanks for your help, did you mean to post something?

I have been trying to make the design hollow, so instead of being a solid block i as trying to make the walls about .7mm thin. That does not seem to be a possibility on Sketch up and i am still learning how to use blender.

4. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    I used your basic outline, cleaned it up a bit, extruded it and made it hollow. Gratis.

Attached Files:

5. Thats awesome, yes just like that... but it still ended up being over $150 how thick are the walls? is there any way to make it less material besides making it smaller?

6. Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions for the model 6x6x3 centimeters or mm's?
    And what purpose is it for, a stamp?

7. It is in inches, 6"x6"x3" For my desk,

8. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    The walls are 0.7mm thick. The only way is to make some holes in it, or make it like a wireframe.

9. Wow, thats crazy! Thanks for putting in all the effort. I guess it is just more material than i thought it would be. Oh well.

So then to cut down on the plastic, what if the outside wall was not solid, you said putting holes in it, what if the holes looked like Leaves, and i put in as many as possible around the outside edge to really empty out the space. the bottom platform could be completely blank, leaving the left, right and top to be filled with holes that look like leafs.

do you think that would cut down on enough material to make it affordable?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  10. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    It quite literaly depends upon what you call "affordable".
    If you were to cut holes into the model, cutting 50% of the volume, you'd still be at $50 per print.
    Is that still too much for you?

A different route to go might be to reduce the overall size.. if you go for 3x3x1.5, then you are actually dropping the volume by a factor of EIGHT!