Home » Community » Work in progress » X-Ray Attenuation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
X-Ray Attenuation [message #53428] Fri, 31 August 2012 16:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar Crissy  is currently offline Crissy
Go to all my models
Looking for an OBJET material with higher X-Ray attenuation. Anyone have suggestions or similar experience?
Re: X-Ray Attenuation [message #53716 is a reply to message #53428 ] Thu, 06 September 2012 22:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TechyBen  is currently offline TechyBen
Go to my shop
I'd suggest looking at the metals (on wiki first?) and what their absorptions/reflection/attenuation is. Then go for a metal. I'd not expect any plastic or resin to do very well.

Hey, wait, are you asking what I think you are?! Embarassed Shocked
Re: X-Ray Attenuation [message #53741 is a reply to message #53716 ] Fri, 07 September 2012 15:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
This was the question posed to me...
"I'm looking for an Objet material that has a higher attenuation for x-rays. X-rays are attenuated by lead which causes a gradual loss of intensity."

Since metal isn't an option, I was wondering which of the plastic/resin based materials would be the best way to go.
Thanks for your answer though!!
Smile
Re: X-Ray Attenuation [message #53759 is a reply to message #53741 ] Fri, 07 September 2012 22:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well, there are only a couple of times x-rays are ever used. Most are either medical or security. So I'd think many would not be comfortable giving an answer. Other than that, these plastics/resins are not going to have much effect AFAIK (I've not checked the wiki, but as a wild guess, it's the same as other plastics).
Re: X-Ray Attenuation [message #53768 is a reply to message #53759 ] Sat, 08 September 2012 05:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 7777773  is currently offline 7777773
Go to my shop
She was looking for materials with *high* x-ray attenuation.... sort of the opposite you'd expect from someone seeking to defeat an xray security device.
I'd recommend ordering samples and running them through a real life test to see how they fare.
Re: X-Ray Attenuation [message #53771 is a reply to message #53768 ] Sat, 08 September 2012 07:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm not sure really. Both blocking and allowing passing of X-rays can hide (passing through to hide the part, blocking to hide what's in it). Razz
Re: X-Ray Attenuation [message #53840 is a reply to message #53768 ] Mon, 10 September 2012 15:40 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Yes- I think we'll have to run tests ourselves. We just thought someone might have insight on this matter from past experience. No intention of bypassing security devices!
I wish it was something that fun...a real life version of the classic movie 'SNEAKERS' maybe? My voice is my passport Razz

Previous Topic:SATURN - Espresso & Sake Cup
Next Topic:DNA Egg-Cup Sculpture with Salt & Pepper Dispenser

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.